Sunday, January 30, 2011

Letter # 191 January 28, 1944

Jan 28, 1944
Fri. eve.
My Sweetest Sweetheart;
Hello, my wifey. How are you? Well, I hope. You should be in fair shape again by this time. Almost ready to love again. I'd like to love you too.
Got two letters today but neither of them from you. One from Vi and one from Fenstermacher's mother. Remember him? He was one of the boys at Knox. Don't think I talked of him very much. He is the fellow laying like a dead man on top of the tanks in one of the pictures.
A couple of weeks ago, before Brownie and I had our visiting day, I decided that as I hadn't seen Angie or Fenstermacher, I would send their pictures to them. Not knowing their camp address I sent them to their homes. Fenstermacher's mother wrote and thanked me and also sent his address. I sent Finnegan's to him as soon as I got back here. He is the S/Sgt from Calif. The rest of them I saw and delivered the pictures personally.
Vi didn't tell any more takes on you, this time. Mostly what you had already told me.
I also got the Gazette and I noticed that Ford Good bought himself a marriage licence. I guess you know who he is. Paul's brother, uncle of some of your kids. The bug finally got him. He's one of the boys that said he wasn't planning ever getting married. Guess the bug gets them all sooner or later.
If they all have as good luck as I did, there would be a lot of happy couples. They can't have quite as good luck though, because I got the best one ever made. I was lucky to get my rope on her before some other guy did. I love you sweetheart.
We've had quite a day. Going back to basic training again. Rolled us out at 4 A.M. with breakfast at 4:15. Right after breakfast we had the usual monthly cock inspection. See, I have my monthly now too.
Went to work. More eyewash, painting and varnishing the office. About 9 A.M. we were taken for a trip through the gas chamber. This time it was chlorine gas. Go into the gas with masks stiff in carriers, and then hold our breath until we get our masks on. Some of the boys didn't get their masks on properly and had to leave the chamber in a hell of a hurry. Get a couple good lung fulls of that stuff and you're a sick man.
This afternoon we had a short road march, the first I've had since I was at Knox. Walked out about 4 miles to witness a demonstration of the new rocket gun. Out and back made about an 8 mile march, for a starter.
You've probably seen accounts of this rocket gun in the papers and magazines. It's a hell of a looking thing to be a tank destroying weapon. Looks like a six foot section of eve spout with a couple sights and stock and trigger. The rocket looks like a small bomb with an 18" tail and fins on the end of the tail. One man places the rocket in the tube from the rear and pulls the pin on the explosive charge on the nose. The other man holds the launcher like a gun, gets his sight and pulls the trigger. The rocket takes off in a flash of flame like a skyrocket. When the rocket hits it explodes and burns a hole through the tank.
They had an old med tank for a target. Fired a few shots at it and then we went out to see what had happened. There were nice neat little holes about an inch in diameter clear through the heaviest armor, almost 3 inches of steel, but that was only the beginning. The inside of the tank was a mess. All blown apart and lots of parts melted away entirely. It must be hot as hell. Looks like sure death for a tank. Never saw so much hell raised by so small a thing before.
Came back, did some more painting until supper time. Then scrubbed the barracks and now I'm at ease.
Tomorrow we have another road march. 12 miles this time, and sometime in the future we have a 25 mile one coming up. That 25 mile one seems to be a standard test of physical fitness in the army. Almost all outfits are required to make it before that are ready for combat.
We now have a different way of serving chow. Instead of cafeteria style, the grub is all put on the tables and they call it home style. It has advantages and disadvantages. I like one thing about it. When we have a dessert of some kind it doesn't get all mixed up with the rest of the grub on your plate.
Well honey, I seem to be all unwound. Been laying here trying to think of something to finish this page, but nothing seems to click at all. Guess I'll let it end here. I can't write a good long one anymore without getting naughty about it. I'll try to keep them clean for a while or you'll be thinking I'm developing into a very dirty minded man. I'm not. I always was the same only I could express myself by actions. Didn't have to say it in words. I used to say a lot with my hands. Remember? Old feely, you used to call me. Night sweetheart, I love you so much.
your lover
Norm.

No comments: