Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Letter # 182 January 18, 1944

Jan 18, 1944
Tues. Eve.
Hello Wifey, dear.
I was right, no letter today, but I got that situation all fixed. Have two of yours to answer yet. First, I'm going to tell you something. I love you. Did you know it? I think you're tops in every way.
Had quite a day. Went out with the tanks. It was my turn again. You asked about that once. We do take turns only sometimes I skip mine. If it's a small run or there is a lot of work in the shop, Brownie sometimes keeps me in. I've only skipped it two or three times.
It was a beautiful, warm, sunshiny day. Perfect spring. Had a dry run on the big battalion problem that is coming up. For once we sent all our tanks out. Had to send one back in. Burned out all the rings on one piston.
The whole battalion of tanks were out there. It was some sight. Tanks scattered all over the country side as far as I could see. Must have been well over a hundred out there, participating in the problem. It was surprising how much it had dried up the last few days. Three nice days without rain.
The problem was about half over , when we stopped for dinner. The Captain's tank was the only one in trouble. Generators weren't charging at all and the batteries were absolutely dead. He had been using his radio a lot, until it wouldn't work anymore. I went to work expecting to fix it in a little while. There was more trouble than I expected. The fuses on one generator were burned out and that didn't take long, but the other wouldn't run at all. It is an auxiliary generator, much the same as the light plants people used to use on farms.
I had the cooks bring my dinner to me and I stayed in the tank and ate it. Gotta stay on the good side of the Captain. I'll be asking for a furlough one of these days when they allow them again.
I checked it all over and still no results, so the Captain took another tank and went on. Well, I finally decided the fuel, a mixture of gas and oil, wasn't right, too much oil, so I told the tank crew to get a gallon of gas and dump it in the tank. That would thin the mixture. They did and I stood there and watched them pour it in. Confident now that it would start. I tried it. No luck. So what the hell now? Took the carburetor and everything all apart again and found nothing wrong. Disgusted and beat, I climbed out and sat my ass on the ground while I smoked a cigarette and puzzled over what the trouble could be. I was looking at a 5 gal can and not seeing it. Finally, it focused and something clicked. I began to have a suspicion. I asked the boys where they got the gasoline they poured in the tank. They said it came from the can I was looking at. For a minute, I felt like cussing and raising hell, and then the funny side came out and I had to laugh at myself. Here I had stood and watched them pour cleaning solvent in the gas tank instead of gas and wondered why it wouldn't run. We drained the tank, put in some more fuel, this time it was gasoline mixed with the proper amount of oil, and the damn thing ran like a new one. It kind of made me laugh at myself. Here I'm supposed to be a mechanic and I try to make an engine run on cleaning solvent. Brownie got a big kick out of it when I told him tonight.
By this time the tanks were miles away. We went after them. When we caught up we found the whole company gathered around five of them, that were nearly buried in a swamp. I'm not kidding. All you could see was the turrets. Looked like pill boxes with the 75's sticking out. That wasn't my worry so I stood and watched while they pulled them out. Took four tanks, all pulling together to pull each one out. Sure dug some canals in that swamp.
Made us late getting in but all the tanks made it and only minor troubles to fix up tomorrow.
You probably won't understand a lot of this story. I thought it was too good to keep.
You can see what kind of a mechanic your husband is, so don't brag too much.
{I couldn't finish this letter before dark, {lights out} , so I have moved to the day room.
I'll answer you're letters now.
Sweetheart, you're going to be a handy gal to have around if you keep on. Can earn your own living, fire the furnace, carry out the ashes, trap mice, pay the bills, mow the lawn, do the housework, and now you have even become a plumber. Cleaned out the bathroom trap. You're some gal. I know a lot of other things she can do very well also.
I wouldn't use Drano or anything in the bathroom. Gus and Vi only have their toilet going into the septic tank, but everything in the bathroom [ours] goes into it. If you have any trouble with it better call Carl.
I surely wish I was there to take advantage of some of that good skating. Hasn't been so good the past couple years. I know it would seem damn good to go skating again with Mummy on my arm. Period.
The little cut from the paper is similar to what we had in mind for the other bay corner. The shelves would please you. I can see that. I never heard those gadgets you pick up, called "knock-nicks" before. I thought it was "knick-nacks". Maybe some more of the German in me coming out. Who's right? If this damn war hadn't come along it might have been built by now and you could have all your "knock nicks" up on display. You can save them for a while and maybe then you can display them. If I don't kill myself catching up on my lost loving, before I get to
building it.
You keep your fingers and everything else crossed and do as much hoping as I am and maybe I'll get home before the "big push" as you call it. I'll sure try.
How do you expect to keep that girlish, tantalizing figure, eating waffles and sausage
11 o"clock at night? You're a devil but I'll love every pound of you, if you weighed 250. Only I couldn't give quite as much attention to every pound. Just don't get such a big belly that the old thing won't reach. Remember, it isn't too long, now. I loves my honey.
I was wondering about Thurston, since you told of Bob Indoe being sent over. I also see by the Gazette that he is a Sargent now. Did Bob get a promotion also? I haven't seen any of the other fellows from Ft Knox at all. Can't seem to locate them. Don't have much time to look either.
San Diego is a big Marine base and the 710 was to go there for amphibious training. The rumor says we will follow.
You say not to worry about letters to other people. As long as I keep you satisfied that's all that is necessary. It's a hell of a big and not too satisfying of a job, keeping you satisfied --- by letter. It may be a big job to keep you satisfied when I'm with you, but it sure will be pleasant and satisfying to try my best.
I'm resting up and saving any energy and waiting for the day when I come back to you to stay. That's going to be one day I'll never forget. Be another date like Sept 8, 1940. Start of a new, better, and fuller life. This time I'll appreciate it more. It'll have to be a hell of a big thing to ever get me to leave you very long again. I at least learned that much from this experience. I need you and will always need and want you more than anything else.
You slipped up on me and made me love you so much. I still can't believe it possible, but it sure as hell is. You're some gal, honey.
Night sweetheart. I've got to get my beauty nap and keep rested up for "that" day. I love you, sweetheart, you're so nice and sweet and you're my wife.
Night baby, darling.
Your soldier.
Norm.

No comments: