Monday, January 17, 2011

Letter # 181 January 17, 1944

Jan 17, 1944
Mon. eve.
Chubbins, Darling;
I told you I'd get lots of letters today.
Did too. Got three from you. Your Wed. Thurs. & Fri ones. Funny part about it is, I got your Wed & Fri ones this noon and tonight got your Thurs. one. Same thing with the Gazette. Got the Fri one at noon and Tues. one tonight. Screwy business. I also got a letter from Mom & Hazel.
We fired our new carbines this morning and they work O.K. We had a series of 15 targets the size of a kneeling man to fire at. The first three were at 50 yds, second three at 100 yds, 3rd three at 150 yards, 4th three at 200 yds, and 5th at 300 yards. Had 25 shells to fire with. A high score of 25. The object was to hit each target once and, if possible, use only one shell. Each target hit counted one point and each shell left unfired counted one point. I lucked up on one target on the 300 set and had to fire twice to hit it, so I only had 24 points. Brownie, the old devil, beat me. He hit 'em all with one shot each.
I spent a nice easy hour this afternoon cleaning and oiling my baby. After it has been fired it has to be cleaned every day for three days and when it is just laying on the shelf it has to be cleaned once every three days. Sure ought to stay clean. It's a lot of horseshit to me but the army insists. Wear the damn things out cleaning them. Don't just clean the barrel and oil it as I always did with mine. They must all be taken apart down to the last screw and spring.
Another fatal accident today. This time in the company. A few boys hadn't gone through the combat village yet. I wrote about the time I went through it. They went today and after they had finished and gotten back to the company, one of the boys jumped from the truck and bumped his gun on the ground. It wasn't supposed to be loaded, but it was. Went off and drilled a neat little hole from under his chin, out the top of his head, steel helmet and all. Killed instantly. Just another case of carelessness. He was from Connecticut. The army is sending the body home. A fellow from a nearby town is going along as a guard of honor. I guess it is customary when they die here in the states.
We are back to normal here in camp now. Lights, water, and everything on the beam again. I got myself a shave and shower last evening and it felt fine.
Now I'll start on your letters. I'll only answer one or two and save the rest for tomorrow. I shouldn't get any and that will leave me something to say.
Honey, I don't think I'd go from Sat. morning to Wed. night without a cigarette for anyone unless it was necessary. My old wifey must have an awful lot of will power. Can't see how it was quite necessary. You used to smoke when you were home. Couldn't you get at least one on the way to and from school? Anyhow, I bet Mom & Pop wouldn't say a word. They know damn well you smoke anyhow.
The little ditty is alright but I can't quite see why it should be your theme song. You surely are fascinating enough to make all the men go wild. All you would have to do is put up the red light and you'd have all the business you could take care of. I can assure you, you are a very fascinating bitch. I should know. I never could leave you alone more than a day or two at a time and when it was that long it usually wasn't my idea. Most fascinating woman I ever saw. I love you honey. You're my fascinating bitch and my legitimate wife. So there too.
You spoke of Dick Elder having felous and suggesting maybe that was what I had. I never thought of that. It could easily have been. Acted a lot like it but I never heard of them anyplace but on hands and fingers.
Too bad they are calling Gus Maitland again. I rather thought he was going to miss it long enough to keep him out.
I see you are sticking to your quote of 40 and even adding a challenge. "We'll see who wears out first." I'm afraid if you are feeling like you have the last times, I wouldn't want to bet much money on me outlasting you. You always could wear me out easily when you were in the mood. However, I'm not going to back down either. You've got to show me. I'll stay with you as long as I can. I'll even bet that when I do wear out, you'll know you've been someplace. You know, like you had run into a door or a good stiff prick. I've got big ideas and lots of plans of what I'm going to do to you. They may be mostly in my head, but some of them are in the "old thing." He's got a lot all saved up and waiting. All he needs is you and he'll go to work again.
I love you, honey. I'll try to keep you satisfied. I'll be glad when we can go along from day to day again and not have to wait for months and months between honeymoons. The honeymoons are swell but the price, separation, is a bit too stiff. I want you all the time, see you every day, and sleep with you every night, and love you all the time. Night sweetheart, I'm loving you.
your loving husband.
Norm.

No comments: