Monday, January 3, 2011

Letter # 170 January 3, 1944

Jan 3, 1944
Mon. Eve.
Hello, Babe; sweetheart;
I certainly did all right at mail call today. Four letters from my precious wife. That's doing pretty good for one day, I'd say. Wed. letter, two Thursday, and one Friday. That little story must have taken effect to cause you to write two in one day. Glad you liked it. If I'm that good I'll have to take to writing for a living. With you to correct my grammar and spelling I might be able to make out. You could help in lots of other ways also. Be a never ending source of inspiration. I love you honey.
I also got a New Year's card from the Harveys in Calif. Cousins, my favorite ones. Don't think you ever met them. Bob stayed with them while he was in Calif. He was my steady hunting party, until he went to Calif. and then was when I got to hanging around your place and eventually started sparking the nice gal, who is my wife now. Too bad I didn't get the idea quicker. Just think of all the time we wasted.
Boy, will we make up for it, "When the lights go on again, all over the world, and the boys come home again." To stay for always.
I don't think I'll answer your letters tonight. I probably won't get any tomorrow and can answer them then. I have some news to tell you tonight.
First. I'm feeling very rotten tonight. Got a hell of a cold. One of those kind that make you ache all over. Probably some of that flu you people have been having. Lots of boys are half sick with it. Must be I'm not living right lately. First one thing and then another. Maybe after all the old man can't take it.
This other piece of news I've been debating if I should tell you or not. However, you said you could take it, could be sensible and wanted to know. So here goes.
The entire battalion was placed on the alert last Friday. We were officially told today. Alert is ready to ship out, all passes and furloughs cancelled and etc. That is why all the physical examination and today we had clothing inspection. All worn clothes or equipment of any kind will be turned in and new issued. Radios or any bulky personal property is to be sent home. Any men with wives or family down here are to make immediate arrangements so they can take care of themselves. Any men not having insurance are urged to take it. Clear the deck for action is the word.
They say we will be at Port of Embarkation in 4-6 weeks. I hesitated to tell you all this because I was afraid, in spite of your promises, you wouldn't be sensible. Remember, you promised you sweet old devil.
I am not very much excited about it yet. Can't believe they would send a combat outfit out without maneuvers. Very unlikely. Then there are the many times that some of the outfits are alerted, before they are shipped. Look at the 710, Grafton's outfit. Then there are the many rumors about men over 30 being kicked out of combat units. Get all ready to go and they'll discard me as dead timber. In any case, it will be weeks in the future and as soon as I know anything definite I'll tell you, and make plans from there.
I'm not either trying to "gloss" it over. I'm just telling you facts as I see them. Gives you enough dope so you can be sensible. There will be plenty of time for you to come see me once we get to P.O.E. We'll still wait and see what happens. When this turns out to be a false alarm, I'll kick myself for telling you. I loves you mummy. Deed I do!
Had some time left over yesterday so I went down and looked Henry B. up. He's still in the same outfit but will soon be either discharged or transferred to limited service. Ever since he came back from his furlough last fall, he has been a cripple. Remember when he was in the train wreck at Chippewa? Well, the leg he had broken then finally gave way. He has been in the hospital for weeks at a time, but they can't seem to help him. Can hardly walk at all. He just sits around and is permanent C.Q. Looks very good, almost his old self again, but he sure is tired of laying around. Says the days just drag. I'd think they would.
We sat and talked nearly all afternoon. He hasn't seen any of the other Medina boys either. Just like they weren't even in this camp.
Well honey, I guess that's all the news I have for now. Guess I'll call it quits and get ready for bed. See if I can get loose of this cold tonight.
Sorry this hasn't turned out to be a love letter. It should have been, in answer to your nice ones. "People will think we're in love", if you talk about me like you write. Some very sweet letters there honey. I'm like you say, though. I can't possibly be that nice. You're prejudiced but I like it. I know I hadn't been nearly as good a husband as I should have been. Maybe I'll be a little better when I get home again. I love you sweetheart. I'll tell you about it tomorrow.
Night sweetheart. I love you so much.
Your hubby,
Norm.

No comments: