Saturday, January 1, 2011

Letter # 166 December 29, 1943

Dec 29, 1943
Wed. Eve.
Darling;
Well, here it is way late again. We worked until almost eleven. We have to check all the tanks at least once a month and we still had a couple left so there was nothing to do but go to work and try to get them out. We got them pretty well caught up now. Probably won't be when we go out again. As far as I know, we go again tomorrow and this time I go along. Don't know if we stay out overnight or not, but I think so. You probably won't get a letter tomorrow night.
I'm having a hell of a time writing you a decent letter here lately.
I got your Friday night letter today. It was mailed on the 25th. You must have gone to some special trouble to get it in the mail. I really didn't expect any until about Friday.
Glad to hear that Santa was so good to my Chubbins. I told him he had better be or I'd come hunting for him after the army turned me loose. Must have scared him.
If you wanted a set of glassware dishes, it certainly sounds like you are getting it. Hope you get it all. I can't appreciate it like you do but I want to see you get what you want. I'm with that, like you would be about me getting some new tools or something like that. Just not my line.
Bet I'll be able to eat what comes in them though. Remember you aren't always going to be a widow. Some of these days you're going to have a husband to look after, work for, mend for, and last, but not least, keep happy and satisfied. Pretty big job. Think you can do it?
Maybe now I can find something to get for your presents for the next few years. I'm glad you like the smelly stuff. I was just lucky to see that in the P.X. They only had two, so I grabbed it quick. It was the only thing I could see that you would like at all. I thought it would get there in one piece. I helped the girl pack it. That is why it was in two boxes. She wanted to send it in the display box. Said it wouldn't look pretty, but I said I'd sooner it got there in one piece, than to have it look so pretty, when you first opened it.
No, I couldn't stand it, not to send you something. Wish I could have been there to see you get it. I get more kick out of seeing you get a surprise than anything I know of. You get so excited and have such a good time, even if it isn't much. You're a very satisfactory person to give things to. All kinds of "things." In fact, you're very satisfactory in every way. Oh hell, honey, I guess all I'm trying to say is, I love you.
You should talk about Kelly. Bet you were just as excited as he was.
Honey, the shouting may have been all on one side, in our engagement, but I don't think so. I didn't say a whole lot, I know. I don't think I ever acted like I was sorry about it though. After all, remember you didn't act very pleased when I first asked you either. Just grunted and went back to sleep. I think that should have been good for at least one big kiss.
If you think it's all on one side now, just you try throwing me over and see how much shouting I do. I didn't know how lucky I was then. I sure as hell do now. I'm the luckiest man alive and I know it.
You're every bit as nice as I say and then some. My vocabulary isn't big enough to tell you how much I like you, but I think I can come close to showing you. I'm waiting for the chance.
So you'll be glad to get the Yanks and you aren't hinting for more gum, huh? Well, it just so happens that I have been hording up a little and will send it along. I haven't yet sent the box.
Well honey, it's bedtime, so I'll stop for tonight. Did I tell you, I love you? I do. You're my darling wife. Night honey.
Your lover
Norm.

No comments: