Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Letter # 187 January 23, 1944

Jan 23, 1944
Sun. Afternoon.
Hello Sweetheart;
We got out and worked like hell this morning and now we have the shop pretty well settled. Consequently we now have the rest of the day off. Rather glad 'cause I'm feeling like you were when you wrote your Thurs. letter [ which I got today ]. I'm kinda droopy. Can't be I'm going to flop. I guess I caught another slight cold. My head is kinda blocked up. I really don't think the cold is the reason. I think it's still spring fever.
The weather is sure swell, a whole week of it now. We have all the doors and windows open in our temporary day room barracks and it's almost too warm. I'm still dressed for winter. Guess I'll have to peel my long johns. It must be over 70 degrees out today. The sun feels like summer back home.
The natives say it is usually like this all winter except for short spells of cold.
This winter nearly all of Dec and first part of Jan. were unusually cold and nasty. I still can't believe it will stay this way. Surely doesn't seem like Jan. as I'm used to it. I wouldn't mind the winter if it would only snow and freeze up, but these cold, rainy, muddy days are not very pleasant.
I think maybe I'll renege on my letter writing today and go out and see what makes this camp tick. I really should write to Mr. Rex but I'm not in the mood for such a letter. Don't even think this one will be much account. Maybe after I look around I'll feel like writing this evening.
Sure is a beautiful day to take my honey for a walk in the woods, only I haven't got a honey here.
I guess I didn't tell you yesterday that they took us all out on the range in the morning, early and we each had a few hand grenades to throw. Get us used to them. Harmless looking little metal cylinder, with a handle and ring on the top. Just a nice size to grasp in one hand. Get a good firm grip on it with the handle against the palm of the right hand, grasp the ring and pull the pin. As long as the handle is held down nothing happens. Throw it much like a football. As soon as it leaves the hand the handle releases and ignites the fuse. They are timed to explode in about 4 seconds. They are little but mighty. Explode with a roar like a 3 " gun and I bet they would do a hell of a lot of damage.
Another thing they can add to the completeness of our training.
Now for your Thurs. letter.
The news of Ed going to work with Drake on that kind of job sounds good. About the kind of job he should like.
If it wasn't for this alert business, I was rather sure of getting home, but now I don't know. It all depends on what they decide to do with this outfit. The 8th hasn't been placed on the alert and that is why Cole got home.
From what you say my calendar must have been nearly right. You'd better not have a reason for not flopping. That would have been rather hard to explain, now that I haven't been home in three months.
Boy! seems like a long time. Only a few more weeks and it will be as long as the first time. Maybe, by that time something will happen I hope.
I guess I'm run down. Can't get in the mood today. I'll go clean up and step out a while.
Bye sweetheart, I love you so much it hurts.
your hubby
Norm.

No comments: