Sunday, January 23, 2011

Letter # 184, 1944

Jan 20, 1944
Thurs. Eve.
Hello Darling;
After that screwy, [and I mean screwy] letter I wrote last night, I think I'll write a plain, ordinary one tonight. Got two letters from you today. A big, long 8 page combination Sat & Sun one and your Mon. one. I think the idea of combining the two is a good one. I get one nice long one instead of two shorter ones and it comes on the same day anyhow. Keep it up if you
want to.
I sure had a hard day today. We went to the shop this morning and worked at odd jobs for a couple hours and then Brownie said, "To hell with it." "Let's lock the damn place up and go to the service club and get some coffee and doughnuts." We did. sat there and gassed a while and then got the idea of going over to where the old 80 AR was, to see if we could find any of the old gang.
We ran into Ernie and Schindler. Ernie has his wife down here and is living in DeRidder. He has a pal there that had a small house and they are living with them. She had been here since the first of the month. Had a 30 day leave from her job. Then she is going back home. Ernie will be out on maneuvers by the 1st of Feb. anyhow. He's still the same old boy. Just as crazy and cheerful and carefree as ever. Says he is well satisfied with married life. Had a good talk and speculated on what might be going to happen. He is much like I. Hasn't seen a light tank since he's been back. Still a buck Sargent.
Schindler is rather disgusted. They made him a medium tank driver. He got a T/5 for that but he doesn't like it. Says he is trying to enlist in the air corpse. He sees Angie occasionally. Says he is still the same. He is a mechanic and still a T/5.
I guess from the looks of things I was a lot luckier than most of the boys. For most of us, that trip to Knox was just a swell vacation at the army's expense. I'd accept another anytime they see fit to give it. Then I wouldn't have to write letters like yesterday's. I could show you. I think I'd have you down there. I betcha'.
Brownie and I killed the rest of the morning visiting and then this afternoon we went back to the shop and puttered around until 4:30 and locked her up and headed for the barracks. First gold bricking work day I've put in since I came back here. Imagine we'll pay for it next week. I guess we are really moving to South Camp next week. I bet that will be a busy time. Hell of a lot of trouble to move six or seven miles.
Don't worry about the address. Keep using the same one until I change it. I guess that is all the news so I'll answer your letters.
Honey, it's a good thing you explained that $5.00 so quickly. When I opened the letter and that bill dropped out, I was getting as you had anticipated. Rather up on my ears. I wondered why in the hell you were sending me more money. You've already had to stake me more than you should. You should have kept the $3.00 anyhow to pay some of the bills.
That was very nice of Mr. Rex and Dorothy. They are hard people to beat. As you say. Poor me, another letter to write. I really have wanted to write to Mr. Rex anyhow and now I guess I will get at it.
Your remark about not liking Gus's sister too much rather tickled me. I remember she once told me she didn't like you either. I guess it must be mutual.
Your story about the ducks is interesting. Usually the tame ones take off with the wild. Maybe she was hurt and by the time she was well, decided she had a good home. Liable to take off this spring when the wild ones go back north.
Sounds like the income tax people got ahead of me a little. I guess I explained that well enough the other day. No hurry. If you have any questions, ask 'em and when you get the dope on the new regulations, let me know.
Sweetheart, your memory is at fault on the first time I made you. The one I mentioned, when we went to Pete's with Gus & Vi was quite a while before the night we loved, out under the stars at our place. First time we ever loved at our own place too. This one was after the rainy spell was over and the basement was nearly dug. What a question! Do I remember it? You damn betcha I remember it. I remember a lot of other nights when I wasn't so lucky too.
Honey, if you ever have another courtship, it better be fast and that guy better never let me see him. I'll use my carbine on him, sure as hell. I love you and I wouldn't like it a bit if some other guy cut me out. All kidding aside. I'm inclined to agree with you. No more long courtships. I didn't want it to be so long. I was ready to marry you when I asked you [and you only grunted] but I wasn't making enough to support a wife then. It was a lot of fun and also a lot of pain. Anyhow, we made it and I'm surely not sorry about that.
Now, I guess this is a rather sensible, unexciting letter isn't it? Gotta rest between those naughty ones. I love you sweetheart. You're my favorite wife.
Night darling, I'm loving you more and more.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: