Monday, January 17, 2011

Letter # 180 January 15, 1944

Jan 15, 1944
Sat Eve.
My Darling Wife;
We sure are having an experience. We're orphans, almost completely isolated and on our own. The storm gave out sometime in the night and, believe it or not, there was even a sprinkling of snow this morning. Had to look close but there was some snow. Everything loaded with ice and glistening like diamonds. It didn't last long, though. Today the sun came out bright and warm and by noon the ice was all gone. Our electric power is still off however, and we are almost completely out of water. Have a little to drink, but can't wash or shave, or even use the toilets. Have a trench dug out between the barracks and that will answer for a crapper until things get back to normal. Some of the towns and cities round about have lights back again this evening. I imagine ours will be on again by tomorrow. They better be. I won't be able to finish this. It's getting dark now and my flashlight just about gave out last night. I'll finish this tomorrow. Guess we have the day off tomorrow. I can maybe write you a good one and also get a few others off. Night sweetheart, I'm loving you so much.
Hey Maw. Time to get up. I need my breakfast. It's 0900 already. Sound natural? I don't need my breakfast, but I would like to have you. I had my breakfast a couple hours ago by candlelight. Only about a dozen of us got up and boy I sure had my share. 9 big pancakes and about 1/2 pound of bacon. I still like my breakfast usually on Sunday. I eat a big breakfast, fair dinner and don't even go near the mess hall for supper.
Our lights are still off. Took my after breakfast shit out in the yard, squatting over a frosty latrine trench. The ground was actually frozen hard enough to carry a man's weight this morning. Nice to be able to walk without sinking in mud to your shoe tops. Only trouble, by noon it will be worse than ever. Sun is out nice and bright and will make short work of the frost.
Couple newsboys were around this morning and I armed myself with Sunday papers. As you can guess, I've just finished them. Everything still waits until I've read my funnies. After my wife and my breakfast, the funnies are my first love. Used to be closer to the top of the list than that until a very distracting young gal wiggled her way into my affections and now claims most of my attention. Somehow, I don't mind in the least. She is easily worth more attention than I can ever give her. I love her so much.
Bet she wouldn't love me very much this morning. Haven't washed my face or shaved since Friday morning. I can just hear her say, "Salty and whiskery." "I'm not going to love you that way." Couldn't blame you in this case. Feels like sandpaper. About as long as I can remember going without shaving.
Most of the boys went out last night as soon as the restriction was lifted. While the lights in surrounding towns were off, we were restricted to company area. P.X. wasn't even open. Baker and I are the only two mechanics here. Rest all took off, as Brownie puts it, to get some meat for his tiger. Over the holidays he found a gal someplace south of here that needed some male attention and he's been attending to her every chance he's had since. He can't figure out what's wrong with me. Thinks there must be something wrong when a man stays in camp all the time, with so much "hot cunt" running around loose. I tell him I'm too old and worn out. Couldn't even raise a good piss hard if I had the hottest gal in La. in bed with me. Don't know if they believe it or not, but they don't insist on me going along anymore. I know damn well I don't believe it. I only think of you and the old thing starts begging. He can't understand what's happened to his playmate. Doesn't think he treated her so mean that she should stay away so long. Can't understand he is the one staying away. Doesn't know his playmate wanted to come see him and I told her to stay at home. Meanie, aren't I?
I loves my mummy and I'm not "bird terding". I'll be showing her one of these days. Soon, and I hope for always.
Didn't hear from you yesterday. I imagine the lack of electric has a slowing effect on the mail also. I'm going to keep working on this one and make it a Sat. & Sun. combined. I'll probably get at least one letter today and I'll answer it in this one, if something doesn't interfere.
I got a letter from Steve yesterday. I'll send it along one of these days. Almost need an interpreter for it. I'm like you. Forgot exactly what I did say to him. I know I was ribbing him for getting hooked and then wished him the best and told him that for us, this marriage business was the best ever. Some of his remarks I can't get. Probably too dumb.
We are being issued our own individual guns and we go out tomorrow and fire them. I now have a carbine to clean every other day and keep spotless. Gives me a chance to get out of the garage and goldbrick a bit.
I guess I'll write a few other letters now and finish this one later. I love you darling.
Back to my honey after writing a bunch of other letters. I always seem to come back to you no matter what I've been doing or where I've been. Some very strong magnetic attraction always pulls me back. I'm not very reluctant to come back either. I love you. You're my wife.
The lights came back on a little while ago, and they say we will have water to shave and wash with by evening.
I didn't get a letter again today. Get lots of them tomorrow I bet.
Hope by this time you have entirely gotten over your cold and are feeling your old self again.
Now for a little bit of business. I don't know how you stand on your income tax or if you will even need to fill out a blank. If you don't know you better contact someone and find out. I understand it's rather complicated this year. If you or we have to turn in a blank, I imagine it will be best to file a joint return. As I understand it a service man and his wife have an exemption of $2100.00 before they pay any tax. I left a record of my earnings on that calendar in the basement, up to the time I came to the army. From then on our combined income from me, that includes your government check, was this:
1st of April to 1st of August $78.00 per mo.
for 4 mo. or $312.00
1st of Aug. to 1st of Oct $82.00 per mo.
for 2 mo. or $164.00
1st of Oct to 1st of Dec $94.00 per mo.
for 2 mo. or $188.00
1st of Dec to 1st of Jan. $106.00 per mo.
for 1 mo. or $106.00
Total. 312.00
164.00
188.00
106.00
--------
$770.00

I don't know exactly what I made until I left but I imagine it is about $450.00. That would be a total of $1220.00. Whatever you made, and I guess you can figure that, couldn't have been more than $650.00 to $700.00 and that still doesn't make $2100.00. I'm not sure of my information. It's what they tell me here. If you don't know I'd suggest contacting Bennett or someone and letting them do it for you. If you file a return yourself I imagine you'll have to
pay tax.
The real estate taxes will soon be due also. Last year they were $33.00 for the whole year, I believe. They probably will be more this year. Might as well pay for the year and then if you aren't home in June, it will be taken care of. The auto insurance is also due. You've probably already paid it by this time. Due on the 14th I believe. You may get a statement from the Lodi Auto Club. Disregard it. I dropped it last year.
The house insurance and auto licence will come in March and I guess that cleans up the bills and business until next summer. This is probably all very unnecessary but I was thinking about it and passed it on to you. Some more things mummy has to do until I get back again. If you need money I can send you some. Just holler.
This is a hell of a love letter. I do love you sweetheart. Bye for now.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: