Sunday, January 2, 2011

Letter # 168 January 1, 1944

Jan. 1, 1944
Sat. Eve.
My darling wife;
Just look at that date -1944 already.
Over 9 mo. that I've been in the army. Hardly seems possible. The time goes fast but not fast enough. I'm anxious to get back to my honey and take up where we left off. I love you, honey.
We got off early today, about 1500 and most of the boys are out celebrating.
We are having another nice, rainy day. Started early this morning and has been at it steadily all day. Warm, probably at least 50 degrees or thereabouts.
I've just been sitting here thinking and comparing this New Year's day to last. If I remember correctly, it was cold as hell, very close to zero. We had a fire in the fireplace and had part of a bottle of wine to drink while we listened to the New Year football game. Gus & Vi came in after bit and we had a quiet, homey afternoon. Today I am here writing a letter and listening to the Sugar Bowl game in New Orleans. Quite a game. Georgia Tech & Tulsa, Okla. 18 - 13 for Tulsa right now.
There is a lot missing in comparison. You know what I miss most, too. However I'm having a pleasant afternoon. Hope you are also.
No letter again today. Maybe I can get caught up on yours this time. Here goes on your Sunday letter.
The stationery you got from your little 6 yr. old boy friend is O.K. I got some from Hazel that is very nice, but I don't think I can write to you on it. Small sheets. Couldn't much more that tell you, I love you on it. I'll use that writing to other people that I don't have very much to write about. Probably a lot of this stuff I write is rather uninteresting and would be just as well left out, but you asked for it and I'll give it to you as long as I can. [Always did, didn't I?] If I am ever sent across, I'll have to write short ones. We'll wait until then to make notes the regular thing. Loves you, honey.
I imagine what you heard Winchell speak of was South Camp Polk. They have a lot of prisoners of war there, and we have heard the same story, more than once. The story says that they have a number of cases of clapp & siff. & etc. among the prisoners. From what I've seen of the way they treat P.W.'s here, I wouldn't mind being one of them. { Whoops, Honey, Georgia Tech, just made a goal and extra point, putting them out in front 20-18. Some game} These prisoners have it a lot easier than we do. Live in the same kind of barracks, get the same food and clothing and work exactly like W.P.A. used to. One good man could do as much as any 6 of them do. They also get the same pay as their native army paid them. The only privilege we have that they don't is leaving camp on pass or furlough. Not so bad I'd say. Winchell has always been talking about Camp Polk. Once last summer he called it "The Concentration Camp of America", and, at that time, said it was a good place for a prison camp. Rumor here says that when we move out the camp will be used entirely as a prison camp. {Just rumor}.
About the clipping. {Ball game is over. Georgia Tech wins 20-18}. The officers would be very much pleased if we did take up airplane identification in place of pin up girls, but I haven't as yet seen any evidence of it. They had quite a fit about airplanes for a while, but it has died down now. I know there are no airplane pictures here but there are pin up on nearly every locker lid. on the insides. None on mine, but I have a couple of the nicest ones you sent pasted on my writing board. The ones that look most like you do. Good thing they don't look as good as you do, bare, or I'd have a hell of a time writing. Honey, you'd look very glamorous and exciting to me in P.J.'s and sweatshirt or any way. Always could get up under a sweatshirt. Mighty easy, and usually the bubbles were loose too. Boy they sure pet good. Kinda give me a tingle when I touch them. More than that when I "chew" 'em. Boy! They are nice funny things. Don't know why they have so much affect on me. They don't lead anyplace like legs do. I like 'em. Like all of you. Love you too.
Your description of "your day" sounds to me like you need a husband, an ornery one to keep you busy part of the time. You'll be getting bad habits. Not going to sleep until 3 A.M. and getting up at nine. Sounds too comfortable and lazy. I don't blame you. I'd do it too if I could. You can use a rest. Long time now until the next vacation.
I'm not either a dope. I'm nice! I just thought I might have given you the wrong idea about the sore on my heel. It wasn't at all serious, just a little painful and irritating. It's O.K. now. Never know I had it.
You know honey, you never can tell about these quiet gals like Rose. When you get to know them they are a lot different. Just look at you. Always teased me and acted like I could maybe "make" you, but I never could-----for a long time. Now look at you. You're the first and last to want it. You're a devil, but a very sweet and loving one.
I too, can think of better ways to go to sleep than thinking of past times. I like to pat a nice chubby gal a while, get her and myself all "het" up and then love her good. If that isn't enough to quiet me down, do it all over again. I get so all satisfied and comfortable after a while that I can't stay awake. Boy how I'd like to do that any time now. I love you and love you.
Well here I am about to the end of my paper. I'll say, Night, sweetheart. I'm loving you.
Your Sarge
Norm.

No comments: