Sunday, January 2, 2011

Letter # 169 January 2, 1944

Jan 2, 1944
Sun. Morn.
My Sweetheart;
I'm starting this letter early and will probably write at it all day. I don't mean that like I wrote it. I mean irregularly all day.
We were just down and had a physical check up. Similar to the one we had at reception center. According to them your husband is still a pretty good little man. All O.K.'s on the check sheet. They did find several fellows with flat feet, piles, and even a couple rupture cases. They did catch up to me and give me another tetanus shot. I missed one while at Knox. Only a short time now and we'll be going through all of them again. Once a year I guess.
We went through another little battle training problem this week. Combat village, they call it. It is built to represent a small town. Log houses, streets, and all. Some of the houses are very strongly built and they have machine guns mounted in them. All of them have dummies controlled by wires and ropes and they pop up in the windows, around the corners and all over. We are all armed with guns and real ammunition and we are to attack and capture the town. The machine guns are firing overhead all the time, rather high, can stand up and walk though, if you aren't over 7 ' tall.
Our company went through in groups of about 25. Spread out in a line formation and advance, with guns loaded and ready, keeping under cover as much as possible and bending low and running zig-zag from one cover to another. Fire at the machine gun nests and at all the dummies that pop up close to you. Fire from cover, if possible, if not, keep flat and fire from there until the dummy is a dead "enemy". I thought it was a lot of fun. The only trouble, they didn't give me enough shells. I had a carbine, that's the gun I'm supposed to use in combat, and about 50 shells. They didn't last long enough but I sure riddled a few dummies while they lasted. Kinda reminded me of the good old hunting days. Like to do that every day. It is a bit dangerous. Some of these boys still don't know how to handle guns, but neither did some of the fellows I used to hunt with.
One of the officers that fire the machine guns was killed the day before we went through. Freak accident. Somehow a bullet found its way through the heavy walls and got him.
Had another accident in the company next to us this week. One damn fool, after all the preaching we have had, was dumb enough to pick up a dud, unexploded 37 M.M. high explosive projectile, and carry it into the barracks. A couple fellows were playing with it, dropped it, and it blew up. Killed one of them, hurt a couple more and half tore the barracks down. Next day we had a shake down inspection. Officers went through all our clothes and belongings, looking for shells of any kind. They even found some as big as 105 M.M. 4" cannon. Imagine the crazy fools. If one of them had gone off it would wreck the area.
They have been so careful to impress on all of us how dangerous shells can be. Some guys have to learn the hard way.
See, since you bawled me out for "covering up", I'm not going to do it any more. Just tell you straight and let you worry if you're going to. Hard hearted aren't I? You asked for it, you sweet old devil. I love you so much.
When I was out Thurs. & Friday I had very good luck. No trouble to speak of at all. A few minor repairs and I was rolled in my blankets shortly after dark. Slept like a log until chow next morning.
Friday we had our first chance to fire guns from a moving tank. Fired both 75 M.M. and machine guns. Not so easy to keep them on a target when the tank is pitching over ditches, stumps, and everything. I got one hit out of three with the big boy and 25 out of 100 on the machine gun. Have to do better than that when I'm shooting over there.
I finally got your little package sent off this morning. Soon you can chew gum again for a while. If you like it I can't see why I shouldn't send it to you. I love you, sweetheart and any little thing I can do from a distance to keep you happy, I'll try to do. Just tell me what it is.
The 8th came back Friday and will stay a few weeks and then go on war maneuvers. They say they had a real rugged time of it. Wet and muddy most of the time.
Rumors say our time is coming up in the next few weeks. Don't know but I hope they soon decide to do something with us. I'm ready to move and see some other part of the country a while. Course, I'd settle for Fort Knox again. Got a good reason to want to be back there. Bet you'd get a phone call to come as soon as you could and I wouldn't accept any excuses either. I'd be asking for three day passes so often they'd throw me out. Probably wouldn't be worth a darn at work. Be saving all my energy for you. I'd really love you up good. Just a day dream but I sure like dreams like that. Who knows? Maybe they'll come true yet.
I love you honey and I am just waiting for a chance to show you. By for now, sweetheart. I'm still dreaming of you. I loves you dearly.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: