Sunday, January 16, 2011

Letter # 179 January 14, 1944

Jan 14, 1944
Fri. Eve.
My Sweetheart;
I don't know how far I'm going to get with this letter or if you can read it, if I do get very far. We are still having our ice storm and boy is she a honey. Our electric went off about 2100 last night and still isn't back on. I'm writing this by the last of the daylight and as soon as that is gone which will be in a few minutes, I'll have to finish by flashlight.
This sure is a honey of an ice storm. Don't think I ever saw one as bad in my life. It doesn't freeze on the ground but the trees and wires surely catch hell. There is quite a woods between the barracks and the motor park and tonight it looked like pictures of a battle area. At least a third of the trees are broken off either at the ground or just below the tops and another third have all the limbs broken off. Looks like someone had trimmed them down to a pole, and most of the others are bent double. Pine trees 50 - 60 ft high are actually bent so the tops touch the ground. It's really pretty, but I hate to see the trees broken like that.
Contradictory side of my nature. I like to cut timber but hate to see it destroyed. Even in La. Funny aren't I?
We are also on short water rations. Plenty to drink but no showers or unnecessary washing. Guess the camp must be supplied by electric pumps and of course they aren't running.
Brownie was just saying he hoped it would keep on raining and freezing until there wasn't a tree or a pole or a wire standing in the whole state of La. Rather shows what he thinks of La. doesn't it? Sure isn't wishing the state any good luck.
I've been writing this side of the page by flashlight. It isn't too unhandy so maybe I can make out, if this damn G.I. flashlight holds out. It's now nearly 7 o'clock and just dark. You see it's different than at home. Doesn't get light until after 8 in the morning and gets dark about 7 in the evening. Guess it's because we are so far south and west and also the war time.
We kinda had a gold bricking day today. Didn't even go to the garage until after 8 and then we fooled around all morning trying to fire up some lights so we could see to work. Then, this afternoon we did a little work, but it was too cold to do much. The heating system in the garage is operated by electric fans and so, no heat! Have plenty in the barracks. Heated by gas stoves. It's so warm in here I'm actually uncomfortable and I'm clad only in shorts. Some of these boys are as cold blooded as you. Can't have any fun warming them up though. I know someone I'd like to warm up and I don't mean maybe. I'd even let her warm her feet on me and like it. I loves you honey. You're so sweet and lovable.
I haven't had time to write to anyone but you, for the past two weeks or so. That is why the folks hadn't heard from me. I usually depend on Sunday to do my writing. This past one we worked and the one before I got lazy and went calling on Henry. When I step out I have to neglect my writing. I guess I'm just naturally slow when it comes to writing. Takes me an hour to an hour and a half to write to you and then there isn't time to write to anyone else. Maybe I'll get a few off this weekend.
I got your Tues letter today. I got your air mail stamps a day or so after I got a new supply of my own. I forgot to mention it I guess. I intended to at least say thanks, but I slipped. I'm sorry honey. It was sweet of you to send them.
Sweetheart, you may not feel very exciting, but it would sure as hell take more than a cold to keep you from looking exciting. You may be a bit bleary eyed and have a red nose, but the rest of you is still the same as always, I bet. If you think you don't look exciting, I won't argue the point now, but you watch me the next time I see you. Bet I'll be plenty excited.
No. Asking me for a loan didn't sound a bit material, coming from you. You never so much as even asked me for a dime more than I gave you each week. Never even so much as hinted you wanted a new hat, or dress, or pair of shoes or anything unless you already had the money saved from your small allowance. It's like I always have been telling you. You're one in a million and I know it. Never gave me many reasons, even very small ones, to find fault with you. Sure, you're hard to get up in the morning and not over ambitious, but hell, honey, those faults are only minor and so far outweighed by other, more numerous good points, they don't mean anything. You weren't always as passionate as I wanted you. I said weren't. Now it's an entirely different story. She's "hot" stuff now. As nearly perfect as you dare to be. If you were any more perfect you'd have a pair of wings and then I couldn't be with you. That would be hell. I guess you know I love you. If you don't, I swear I don't know how to tell you. Boy! How I'll show you.
Take care of yourself sweetheart, and get rid of that cold. I don't like to have you sick. You're too sweet and I love you too much. Night gorgeous, luscious, beautiful, Chubbins, Tootsie Wuggles, sweetheart, darling, wife. I love you so much.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: