Saturday, January 15, 2011

Letter # 178 January 13, 1944

Jan 13, 1944
Thurs. Eve.
We had quite a long day today. Rolled us out at 4 this morning. The company was to go out on a problem of some sort and were to be on their way by 0600. They did get started, got out a couple miles and came back. It's been raining steadily for three days now and it's so muddy they didn't dare leave the road, or the tanks would have disappeared. Today was really a bitch. Raining all day and a hell of a cold north wind. This afternoon it got cold enough to freeze ice on the trees again. Still at it too. I know that doesn't sound cold as we know cold, but I'm telling you it feels a lot colder than zero weather at home. Wear all the clothes I've got and still shiver when I get out. Been wearing my long handled wool underwear every day for the past several weeks and sometimes two pair of pants and two shirts over that. I never used to wear so much clothes in the coldest weather at home.
The fellows that have recently been north on furloughs said they didn't feel a bit cold up there. Seems strange but I guess it's true. It's so damn damp and raw down here. Thermometer seldom goes to freezing and it doesn't take much heat in the barracks. Drive the dampness out and it's comfortable. Work out in it for an hour or so and get chilled clear through. Just mean. I guess that is enough bitching about the weather and things.
I got your Monday letter today.
So you are staying with Mom & Pop a little longer than you intended? Just a little bit Mommas girl yet aren't you? I'm kidding now. I don't blame you a bit. I'd think you would enjoy living with someone again for a change. Of course, as you say, you can't, or I should say don't, sit down and have a cigarette whenever you want and you couldn't come in too drunk on beer. Otherwise I bet you do enjoy it. I really did expect you probably would close the house and go live with them until spring. You're sticking it out a lot longer than than I thought. Getting to be a really independent gal. Aren't you?
I'm a little jealous of your folks. I'd like to take over the job of waiting on you or give you the job of waiting on me or something like that. I love you sweetheart and I don't like being away from you very much.
So the old lizzie finally let you down did she? I'm rather surprised she hasn't done it before this. After all she isn't so young anymore. 6 years last Oct. and that is the first time anything has ever been done to the brakes. Pretty good record at that. I probably could have fixed it alright but I'd still have had to buy new line and being in the winter I doubt very much if I would have done the work either. It would have happened with me or anyone as quickly as it did to you. Just worn out, not broken. Has the old girl been giving you any other trouble, starting, tires, or anything? I like to know things like that.
Sure glad to hear you are recovering so fast and were even able to go to school again Mon. Maybe not having an ornery husband to keep you worn out helps a little. Think so? I'd sure like to keep you worn out for a while.
I hadn't been conscious of any change in me over this maybe moving business. I really don't expect it until I see it. However, I will say. I would welcome a move to some new place. Help to keep it interesting. Also I've been hoping like hell I wouldn't be here this summer again. It's no place for you and you have declared you are coming if you can. Like to be someplace near civilization so you can find a decent place to stay.
I think if my letters are different it's because I haven't had much to write about and I'm getting a bit stale at it. Beside that I wasn't feeling very well for several days. I surely didn't mean to sound like I was any farther away. Lord knows I'm far enough now. I like to be close to my honey.
The vaccination was a smallpox booster, I guess. It never took at all.
I can easily understand how different a bunch of kids of that age would be from truck drivers. Now, if you were a high school teacher, it might be a lot different. I know I used to look 'em over very well and I even liked to get a chance to look down low neck dresses or see a nice pair of knees. If I had had one built like you I might even have tried to do more than look. The kids you have now are a little too young. Your lush build and looks are all wasted on them. At least I don't have to be jealous of them.
I'll bolster your ego again one of these days. At least I'll do and say all I can to put your ego way back up there again. Keep those beautiful legs and nice, white fingers crossed and maybe it won't be too long before we get another swell break. I'm dreaming of it and hoping for it. You don't know how much.
Do you realize that it is now 11 weeks again. Only about 7 more and it will be as long as our first separation. Time for something to happen.
I loves you honey. I'm thinking of you and missing you so much.
Night sweetheart, I can almost feel you loving me at times when I'm in a dreaming mood. Only trouble, you are like the little man who isn't there. Can't get hold of you. Night honey.
I love you.
Your "far away" lover.
Norm.

No comments: