Sunday, January 23, 2011

Letter # 186 January 22, 1944

Jan 22, 1944
Sat eve.
Hello Sweetheart;
I have more time than I expected to get this evening. The moving went very well. We are completely moved to our new home, but a hell of a way from settled. Got over here with the last load just at chow time tonight. The rest of the company was here a long time before we were and we found we were left out in the cold. No place left to sleep. Whoever did the planning for this move did it in true army style. All fucked up. They knew how many men they had to have accommodations for and still there are about twelve of us sleeping on the floor in the day room. Guess we will be for a couple days until they scare up some more barracks.
Don't know a thing about the camp yet but I imagine it will be a little better than North Camp. It's older and more established. More P.X.'s, shows, and amusement. Even more gals over here. Maybe that's bad. I might get notions. Would if I could forget you for a little while. I can't seem to do that though. You're always on my mind. Even when I see a nice looking gal, I find myself contrasting her to you . You've never suffered by comparison with any of them yet. Don't think you ever will. I love you honey.
The boys are all taking this as a lark and talk is running high. We were just talking about not seeing any cockroaches over here yet, [we soon will] and Baker said he was already a little homesick for his many legged friends. Said he had just gotten them trained to the place where he could give them drill formations and now he had to leave them. We assured him it wouldn't be long and he'd have a new bunch of rookies.
Ever since we heard we might be going overseas, Brownie has been practicing throwing his knife and he had been using cockroaches for targets. He hasn't hit many yet. Tonight he's walking around with his knife but can't find any targets. They don't seem to be quite so thick over here.
There might be a little excitement around here if things break the right way. We are sandwiched in between battalions of paratroopers and for some reason, there seems to be friction between the "grasshoppers" and the armored force. Some of our boys came back from Leesville the other day a little beat up. Said they had tangled with an outfit of paratroopers from South Camp. Now we are right here with them, and we are only one battalion against a dozen or more.
Brownie says for us to slip a hammer in out pocket and not fool with them. Cold cock them and leave them lay. They are cocky fellows. A lot like Marines.
I got a nice long letter from you today. Your Wed. one. Guess I hadn't as yet answered your Tues one. I'll get at it now. While I think of it. The address is still the same except you drop the North and write only Camp Polk, La.
If I remember correctly, the letter I started to put the R.F.D. on my address was one of my nicer naughty letters and it had me a little excited. You bother me that whay. [look at how I spelled way] , whenever I think of you. You've got a lot of power over me, you sweet old devil you. I love you.
I'll tell you what you told me. Don't be ashamed of your "notes." I know you have lots of things to do and when a person is writing so much you go stale once in a while. I know I do. I'd love your notes and be satisfied with them if they only said Hello & night and told me everything was O.K. with you. Of course, I like to get good long ones, telling all about you, what you've been doing and news from the home front, but you can't write that kind all the time. Remember you've only missed writing me a couple of days since I've been in the army and I'd say that was damn near a record. Just think, nearly 10 mo. - 300 letters - that's a hell of a lot of 'em. You're sweet. I loves you.
Honey, you're a brave gal and an unusual one, staying at our place all by yourself with no one to look after you. I'm very proud of you. Not many gals would do it. See there are so many ways you have the others of your sex bettered. Like I've been telling you. You're one in a world full. Is it any wonder I love you? I'd be a damn fool if I didn't.
Glad to hear the car is behaving so well for you. She's like my wife. Faithful old gal. Also glad you are managing to get along with the furnace, even if you aren't very warm most of the time. I was afraid that was the part that would bother you most.
Maybe you think I wouldn't take care of that "wolfing" in Ohio, if I could only get there. Boy! I'd take to that like a duck to water. There's a day coming and then_________________.
Remember the letter I wrote the other day_____.
Judging from the Hugert's experience, I guess I'm glad I made a hell of a big cistern. At $20.00 a crack it wouldn't take long to pay for a big one. In fact our whole cistern only cost about $60.00.
Sweetheart, If you're ever too hard up for beer, maybe I could send you some in place of gum. Gotta keep you happy you know. I hope yo don't take me seriously.
Love won't be rationed in the Effinger family when I get home again, I bet. Won't even need any ration stamps. It'll be free to you. Only be willing to accept and you shall receive.
Tomorrow is a workday again so I guess I better get cleaned up and hit the hay. I worked like a damn fool all day and can probably use the rest.
Night sweetheart, I love you so much, I'm proud of you, I'm glad I gotcha, you're sweet and everything.
Lots of love and loving coming your way____ soon I hope.
Your soldier,
Norm.

No comments: