Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Letter # 188 January 24, 1944

Jan 24, 1944
Mon. Eve.
My Darling Wife;
Another day gone. Another letter from my honey. Your Friday one.
I spent most all day on "eye wash" as we call it. Fixing things up in great style, like the army wants it, and then we had to work for a while this evening to get the tanks all ready to go out tomorrow. We call it a lot of shit but it's the way the army works.
I spent all day rebuilding a table to answer for a desk for the motor Lt. It was a varnished table with a plywood top and wasn't in bad shape, but I had to plane all the varnish off and refinish it. I liked the job all right but once in a while it gripes me to do some fooling around like that, when there is work to do.
We've had a few bottles of beer on the way back from the shop tonight, so I don't know how this letter will turn out. I'm slightly "that" way.
I got a letter from Jim the other day. He doesn't say much so I won't bother to send it along. I also got a letter from Hazel today and she says Gus Maitland was inducted. From what you said, she must be mistaken. I hope she is anyhow. Every month he stays out is that much better chance he has of missing it entirely.
I went out a walked around a bit yesterday and got a look at a little of the camp. This is a lot like Knox. Nice big service club, lots of P.X.'s, gyms and etc.
The paratroopers didn't even look cross eyed at us. I was with one other fellow, about my size. Don't think it was because we were big, because they must pick those boys for size. They are all as big or bigger than I. They are like everyone else. If a fellow doesn't look for trouble, he usually isn't molested.
The two boys that were at Knox came in today. I don't think I was quite as sick, coming back, as they were. They sure hated it. Can't say as I blame them a bit. They had short delays en rout and they were cancelled because of the alert.
We are still sleeping on the floor in the day room and they are hollering for the lights to go out. I don't feel like going to the latrine to write tonight, so I guess I have to end this fast.
Night sweetheart. I'm loving you and thinking of you constantly. I love you . You're a darling. Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: