Sunday, January 30, 2011

Letter # 190 January 27, 1944

Jan 27, 1944
Thurs. eve.
My Darling Wife.
Another day come and nearly gone. The date says it is exactly 3 months since I headed back for Polk. Think of that, 1/4 of a year already again. First of Feb in a few days. Hardly seems possible.
Nothing very much happening around here today. We had a third army inspection. It was supposed to be on the vehicles and turned out to be on the mechanics instead. They ran true to form. Gave us an examination on wheel vehicles and we are all tank mechanics. They gave me an examination on the 2 1/2 ton truck. Part of it was practical work with the examiner watching and the rest oral questions. I cleaned the fuel filters, cleaned and adjusted spark plugs and adjusted brakes and then answered a lot of questions and described the proper army procedure of doing the work in question. I got along in good shape until the last question.
He asked me if I had one nearly new tire and one nearly worn out, to put on one duel wheel, which tire would I put on the outside. Well that was a new one on me. I had never heard the army way of doing that so I answered it the way nearly all civilian truck drivers do it. Put the worn one on the outside. I should have known it would be backwards in the army. The answer was supposed to be, worn one inside. The examiner laughed and said I was still thinking like a civilian. So I missed one of my questions. Mac & Baker also were asked a few questions and we all came out O.K. Good score for the company.
That will be the last 3rd army test for us, I guess. We were just informed today that we were taken from the 3rd and attached to the 4th army as special troops. Whatever that means, I don't know, but the usual rumors are flying around. Some say we will stay here and maybe go on maneuvers here in La. & Texas. As you said, they don't seem to know what they want to do with us. Probably be as I expected. Keep kicking us around and will never even get out of La. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see.
Our good weather has left us again for the past couple days. Rain and more rain and mud again. Not quite as much mud here as in the other camp. More concrete roads and drives and walks and etc. Better in that respect. I sure hated all that mud. It is also getting a lot cooler tonight. Have a little winter now I guess. Can't be much more of it though. Only two months later than this when I got here last year and the trees had been in full leaf for a month. I imagine it is very much like spring by the end of Feb. and that is only four weeks away.
Got another nice big six page letter from my sweetie today. I sure look forward to getting them and enjoy them a lot. I usually read each one several times.
You surely made a friend of Mrs. Wilkerson from the sound of things. They are swell people. So are you. Probably why you became such good friends. I wouldn't mind being back there again. We had such a good time, didn't we?
You can take my dirty letter any way you want but it's a positive fact that I'm missing you and loving you a hell of a lot.
Honey, I don't think you realize just what you'd be letting yourself in for by suggesting I fly home if I get another furlough and you would pay the bill. That would be quite a price to pay. The train ticket is less than $30.00 round trip and the plane is over $120.00 each way. It would be worth it, but I'm still scotch. I doubt very much that I could even get a ticket.
I do give you credit for being big enough to back down on your estimate of Betty. I rather thought you would if you ever got to know her. You and I usually agree on our likes and dislikes of people.
Sweetheart, I'm not working myself up to a good loving. I've been worked up to that ever since I left you. Remember I said the old thing misbehaved, already, on the train down here. I've been ready for a good loving a long, long time and hope it won't be too long before we can indulge.
I know I'm a devil but I sure do like to love my mummy. Best loving ever came down the road. You're a dandy, you're my wife, and am I glad of it!
I'm about unwound now so I'll quit for tonight. Night sweetheart, I love you so much.
your favorite husband
Norm.

No comments: