Sunday, January 23, 2011

Letter # 185 January 21, 1944

Jan, 21, 1944
Fri. Eve.
My Precious Sweetheart;
When I looked at my little calendar tonight for the date, I noticed a curious little check mark over the date. Can't imagine what it is for. Can you? I think you know what it is there for. Was it right? Keep me posted on that so I may be able to regulate that "maybe" furlough to fit. I'm still dreaming but not doing much planning. Maybe the next furlough I get will be the one we are looking for. Permanent. The war over and then_____. Boy, I can hardly wait. I love you sweetheart and I'm not bird terding.
This is going to be a rather short letter. It is really happening. We are moving tomorrow and Sunday. Once again, I have my barracks bags all packed, ready to take off. Wish I was going as far and in the same direction as last time. At least, it's a start. Maybe they will keep us on the move now, I hope. Gotta see more than La out of all this time in the army.
We have all the tanks and etc. repaired and ready and nearly all the shop equipment loaded and ready to take off. A hell of a lot of work to move a few miles south.
We'll probably be busy as bees for a couple days, so don't be surprised if I don't write for a few days. I will if I possibly can.
I got your Tues letter today. I'll answer at your Mon & Tues ones now.
Honey, from the way you talk about your kids and job, a fellow would think you didn't like it very much. Of course, I know you love it and it would be very hard to persuade you to give it up. Nothing like loving your work. Some day I'm going to insist you stop teaching and concentrate on taking care of me. Believe me, after all this army life, I'll soak up a lot of the kind of taking care of, you put out.
I haven't been able to get any line on Kenny but I imagine he was out with the 8th on their 3 week maneuvers in Texas. I told you about that I think. They also have to get out of North Camp Polk. More maneuvers I guess.
Honey, if I was there and you couldn't stay awake for at least a little while, I'm afraid I'd take advantage of you and love you while you were a sleep. Never tried that, but there is always a first time.
This is about all I have time for tonight. As you say, you'll forgive me won't you? I love you sweetheart. You're the apple of my eye. You're my inspiration. You're everything to me. Night sweetheart. I loves you.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: