Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Letter # 171 January 4, 1944

Jan 4, 1944
Tues. Eve.
My Sweet darling wife;
I had good intentions of writing you a very nice letter tonight, but I guess you'll have to get along with just a note.
We worked until late and then I had some chores to do. I could stay up and write but I don't feel quite up to it. My cold is better but I still need to get to bed and get a lot of sleep. You know, I always was a baby when I had a cold.
Nothing new on the on the moving proposition, but I overheard the officers talking today and they are of the same opinion as I. We may really be in for a move, but not across until we have had maneuvers. The camp surely is buzzing, like a big "hen party". Everyone has his own idea of what will happen and where we will go. Sure did put life in the camp.
Meanwhile training will go on as usual. Tanks go out again tomorrow and come in Thurs. Then if they don't change it, go out Sat and come in Monday. The last one should be my turn again.
The two boys that went to Knox just after I got here are due back in about another week and then we should have plenty help and won't have to work quite so hard maybe. That'll make 5 regular mechanics and that should be enough.
Have I told you lately, that you are the nicest, sweetest wife a man ever had, and that I love you so much, I kinda choke up a little when I think of you?
Okay, Honey, I'll be good and quit treating you like a baby, as you say. From now on I'll talk straight out. The only reason I didn't always do it before was because you were always worrying about me, even when I was only a little late getting home. It's so easy to misunderstand writing. Afraid you would understand it worse than it was. After all you know, I promised to protect you, and love and cherish you and I've been trying to keep that promise.
I thought you'd get a kick out of the "fessing" business. I don't care if it is German. I like it better than "piece". "Piece", to me, means something a hell of a lot better than something to eat.
Well, sweetheart, I'm quitting for tonight. I loves you so much. You're a darling. You're a peach, you're tops, you're my precious, and lots of other things like that. Night honey, I love you.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: