Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Letter # 189 January 26, 1944

Jan 26, 1944
Wed. Eve.
Hello Sweetness;
I hope you didn't miss yesterday's letter that I didn't write, too much. I'm sorry honey. I just couldn't make it. We got us a barracks and moved in right after supper and then we had to go back to work again. Worked until late and I didn't feel like writing, even to you. So I didn't.
I've just had an interruption. Orders came out that all men would attend the basketball game at the field house. It is the 775th team and four of our boys are on the squad. I really had intended to go but when we worked so late last night and I didn't write to you, I had decided to stay in but I went to the game after all.
When I came back here last fall the team had just been organized. They were still selecting players and I passed it up. Thought they were way out of my class. After seeing tonight's game, I wish I had gone in for it. They are only about as good as a good high school team. I think the "old man" would almost stay with them. They were playing a team from Camp Claybourne. Our team won 59 - 40. They have had a rather successful season. Only been beaten three or four times I guess. They have had a good thing out of it. Have been all over La. and over in Texas. Even play civilian teams. Some of their trips have taken a couple days. I imagine it would have been fun, but I imagine my honey would have been hurtin' for letters. Play a couple games a week and practice a couple nights. That would only leave me about three nights to write. That would be hell, wouldn't it?
We got moved into our barracks but that is about all. It's so crowded we are sleeping in double deck beds, don't have any foot lockers, and lots of things are still fucked up. I am sleeping on an upper bunk, Baker under me. Maybe I can fall out and break a leg or an arm and get to see those nurses after all. Anyhow I'm getting way up in the world.
We have had a little excitement. Some of our boys and the paratroopers had a round the other night. Wasn't far from our barracks and the noise soon had most of our battalion and couple of paratrooper battalions all lined up and ready to go. The M.P.'s and the guards charged in with the tear gas bombs and broke it up.
While all this was going on your old man was inside watching from a window. I haven't lost any trouble so I'm not looking for any. Beside I like my own teeth too well to have them pushed down my throat. A few of the boys lost some teeth and hide that night.
Still keeping us busy doing mostly "eyewash". Today I was building a nice little picket fence to separate the Lt's. desk from the rest of the office. He thinks so much of that desk he says he's going to take it home when we leave here. He asked me today what I was supposed to be, carpenter, mechanic, or what.
I know what I'd like to be. I'd like to be nothing but husband and lover of a very sweet gal back in Ohio. I wouldn't give a damn if it was in Ohio, or where the hell, just so that gal was there and would be my wife and lover. I loves you honey.
I didn't get a letter from you yesterday. Old, no letter Tues again. I got a very nice one today though, your Sat & Sun letter. Rather sweet one too. Told me some nice things. I'd like to have you say things like that to me. Must be love because I never used to like that kind of talk.
I'll answer your letters now. I think I still have your Fri one to answer.
Sweetheart, you're way behind time, telling me not to qualify for sharpshooter on the carbine. I have already done that. In fact, I did it the first time I ever fired it. It is a pretty good little gun, although I've seen better. Sights are contrary to what you expected. Not telescopic sights or even good peep sights. The gun is made for battle conditions at shorter ranges, so the sights are very rough. Peep is large to make it very easy to pick up a target quickly. I would like to get one and have some good sights put on it. Would make a dandy woodchuck or fox gun. Very light and easy to carry. Only weighs about 6 pounds loaded with 20 shells.
Don't worry about them making a sniper or something of me. I guess I'm definitely a mechanic from here on.
Baby, dear, I know damn well we'll have a lot of fun trying for that 40 quota and you won't be the only one who knows we've been somewhere. We'll do all we can so you'll have something to talk about when the other gals kid you about your sex life. Bet there won't be many left that will be able to say much. Most of them will soon be war widows, looks like.
Don't think I'd mind a bit, hearing you ask, "What 'cha doin?" "Where you going?" and other similar questions. I used to think you overworked them, but I'd love it now. At least for a while. My soul may still be my own but that is about all. The rest belongs to you and I'm happy about the whole thing.
Honey, I can't imagine what you are talking about when you say some of my letters wouldn't bear quoting. Not much. Think even I'd blush a bit if someone ever read them.
When I said you probably wouldn't understand my mechanical story, I had forgotten you were rather an accomplished mechanic yourself, now days. I wasn't meaning it to belittle your intelligence. I just thought it would be rather hard to grasp when you haven't even seen any of this stuff and a description, like I put out makes it worse. I won't do it again sweetheart.
See, I'm not the only one who thinks you're doing a swell job, keeping things going all by yourself. I know it isn't any fun and not at all glamorous, but, just the same, you're all the things they say - and a hell of a lot more. I haven't time or room enough to write them all down now. You can remember back over things I've told you in other letters. I meant them all. Every word of them.
So Ed and Betty will be changing homes soon. I can't place where Tiffin is. It's quite a way from home isn't it?
I hadn't been introduced to "whiskey & soda" before. That reminds me. Do you ever see any of our real squirrel friends?
By this time you know the answer to your questions about some of the Knox boys.
I have wondered about Gus and have thought about writing his wife, but I don't get to it.
You say you are selfishly glad you made such a deep impression on me and that I need you and want you and you're very important to me. That sentence is all right except for that word selfishly. That word has no place in there. I certainly wouldn't call loving me and giving me as much of yourself as you do, selfish. I'd call it very sweet and generous. You're tops. You're a big help and inspiration to me. I can't believe it myself, but all the day dreams I have, [ and some of the others] are all built around you. I'm like a lost ship out on a stormy sea without you for an anchor. You're the tie that keeps me going. Something to plan for and come back to, when this dirty business is all over. Gosh, I'm glad I gotcha, honey.
It's past my bedtime so I'll say bye for now. I love you so much. You're my sweetheart. Night honey.
Your lover
Norm

No comments: