Saturday, January 8, 2011

Letter # 172 January 6, 1944

Jan 6, 1944
Thurs. Eve.
My Darling baby doll;
Whoops, honey, I have now added another trade to my list of accomplishments. Bet you could never guess what it was. Something I never thought I'd ever try. Barber! Imagine that. Me a barber. They issued orders today that everyone would have a G.I. haircut as of now. We had one fellow here that had clippers and etc, but way too many men to work on. I jokingly said I could cut hair and some of them believed me so I went to work. Cut two heads of hair and they didn't look bad. I was more surprised than anyone.
Got your Sunday letter today. You seem to be doing good on your letters, but , lately I can't seem to get time to write you a decent letter. We didn't work late at the garage tonight. We had to give the barracks a good scrubbing, wash the windows and all. Then, by the time I had completed my haircuts it was getting pretty late. Guess you'll have to suffer for a letter again.
My cold is much better tonight. Afraid I'm going to get well, without going to the hospital. Thought maybe I was going to get a chance to see some of those nurses, but no such luck. Hear there are some redheads there too. Hope they stay there until I get sick enough to go see.
I only got a vaccination today and so far I don't know I've got it. Don't think it'll work at all.
No more news of any kind. I'll manage to keep you posted even if I don't seem to write very long letters. Don't know if I go out tomorrow or not. If I do, no letter for you tomorrow night.
Now back to answering your letters. I'm only in the middle of your Thurs. one.
Thanks for permission to go on a tear, [as long as I keep it clean] and talk to all the women I want to, [as long as I only talk] and get howling drunk. [no reservations there]. You're a devil but such a sweet one I can't help loving you. I do you know.
As I've told you before, you don't have to worry about me "jumping the fence". There isn't good enough competition to make me want to. They can't come close to competing with my darling wife. I can see from your letters that you still don't believe what I tell you about you. I'll have to show you I guess. Then maybe you'll believe it. Seems funny to hear you belittle yourself. It was usually the other way. Remember how you used to say, "I'm nice", "I'm sweet", and others along the same line? Doesn't sound like my egotistical wife. Needs a husband to build up her moral again. Wish I could do that little thing for you right now.
Night sweetheart, I'm loving you by remote control. Feel it? I loves you.
your note writing sarge.
Norm.

No comments: