Thursday, January 13, 2011

Letter # 177 January 12, 1944

Jan. 12, 1944
Wed. Eve.
My Darling Wifey;
Got your Sat & Sun letters today. Very sorry to hear you are having an attack of the flu. I know how you feel and it isn't good. This one I had was a bitch. Didn't seem to be much cold with it. Head only stuffed up one night, but I ached all over and my stomach was all upset. Had a good appetite and ate all the time, but I shit like a goose on pasture. Managed to make the crapper every time but sometimes it was rather close. Hope you get over it real quick. I should be there to hold your hand or something. I'm all well and good as new again. Lots of the boys that had the same thing went to the hospital and most of them stayed 7-10 days. Just think how well I could become acquainted with some red headed nurse in that many days. Trouble is I don't take the opportunities that present themselves. I'm so slow that way I still wonder how I ever happened to catch you. Guess maybe you caught me. It was leap year you know.
Gosh, going on four years already and I still love her. In fact I find I'm still getting acquainted with my darling wife more all the time. I don't exactly know what I expected married life to be. Probably a short period of honeymoon and then a pleasant, comfortable, every day life with a nice, companionable wife. I know I never expected that after this long I'd still be discovering new and exciting things about my wife and loving her more than I ever did before. It is a swell and very exciting experience. I wouldn't miss it for anything. Wish I didn't have to be away, so we could be enjoying it to the fullest all the time. Sweetheart, I love you so much. I'm about the luckiest man in the world. Have a very unusual gal for a wife. Unusually nice in every respect. I loves you honey.
So you got the package with the Yanks & stuff. Can't figure how so much gum got in that package or what you will do with so much all at once. I know you don't like it and wouldn't think of asking me to send you any. Hope you can use it. Maybe if you asked me real nice I might start buying up another supply and send it to you when I think you might be out. I know darn well, if you were here you would probably find a way to bribe me into buying some more, but I don't know how you are going to work it, by letter. Maybe you can tell me how nice I am and get a pack or so for that. I'd gladly pay several packs for a good kiss and a hug and I'd buy the whole damn P.X. for a good loving, but you can't send any of that by letter. How you going to manage?
You're a sweet old devil and I love you so much, I'm afraid I'd send you anything I can, if you ask for it. I'm very much in love with my gorgeous little wife. Did you know it? Have I told you recently or do you want another naughty letter to reassure you?
I'm being an old devil aren't I? Knowing how you like "dirty" stories. I bet you are expecting each letter to be that naughty one I promised you. If I remember right you even hinted it was about time for another one. Of course you wouldn't come out and say you wanted another, but be a little subtle about it, like asking for more gum. "Of course I'm not hinting for any more gum." "Just telling you I'm about out." You old devil you. I love you.
I'd squeeze that flu bug clear out of you if you'd come in reach. Just imagine I'm doing it anyhow. Maybe it'll do some good.
I was wondering what the nickname "Allie" for Steve's gal was all about. Couldn't see just why he even mentioned it. Isn't his style. I didn't know her middle name was Alexandria, so I was completely in the dark. Thought maybe it would be explained someday. Good old mummy always comes through without even being asked.
I was very pleased that the moving business didn't seem to excite you too much. It may be a dry run and then there is always a chance it may be the real thing. As I've told you, I don't expect to be shipped out before we have maneuvers, but I disagree with Tinstman. I don't think we'll maneuver in the desert or in La. either. I expect it to be someplace north or else a type of amphibious maneuvers on one of the coasts. More guessing, entirely my own.
I'm ready to move and see some other part of the country for a change. I've seen all of La. I want to for a while. If this is a sample of winters in the south, other people can have it. I'll still take mine up in the north. I think a nice six foot snow drift would look good enough to eat.
Honey, I'm afraid you're expecting a little too much of the army when you ask if I can sing, now too. I'm afraid I'll always be a disappointment to you there. Just isn't in me. I always did know a few song titles, but I could never tell one from the other and still can't. I did so listen when I was home. Sometimes anyhow.
Don't worry about me forgetting any of our dates. I won't and I'll probably add some more after I get there.
You keep on waiting and maybe someday you'll get that call or wire and will have to prove, personally, how much you love me. After telling me so much I'll be expecting a lot too.
Night gorgeous baby. I'm loving you and missing you.
your soldier.
Norm.

No comments: