Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Letter # 175 January 10, 1944

Jan. 10, 1944
Mon. Eve.
Babe Darling;
This is some scotch stationery I'm using tonight. A fellow was going to throw it away and I took it, thinking to use it for note paper around the shop. I put it in a stationery box and when I came in late tonight and dug out my paper and ink, I got the wrong box and I'm too lazy to go back up to the barracks and get the other. Anyhow, I guess you can't kick too much. You used some about like it on me.
I don't know how far I'll get with this letter. It's late, so it depends on what mood I'm in.
We worked until about 2200. We've been working all day, cleaning, sand papering, and shining our tools. We have a dry run inspection on all our tools in preparation for the time when we will really sign them back to the government and take off for some other part of the country. The tools weren't at all in bad shape, can't be when you use them all the time, but you know the army. Have to all be spotless and look like new for inspection. We've got them all laid out in neat rows over the shop floor. Of course the floor had to be scrubbed spotless first and that in itself is no little job. Greasy garage floor! The inspection is indefinitely scheduled for either tomorrow or Wed. Hope it isn't until Wed. Then we'll get a rest. Can't work without tools and can't use the tools before the inspection because we'd get them dirty again.
Probably find something for us to do or put us on K.P. or something. Couldn't bare to see good men doing nothing.
I ran into Grafton at the P.X. last night. Just in time to say goodbye to him. His outfit is finally moving out. Part of them had already gone and the rest were leaving today. San Diego, Calif is where they told them they were going. As far as we are concerned I know nothing more. We are getting ready to move but it may be a dry run. I am beginning to believe it myself. That is my own opinion.
I'm having a hell of a time trying to keep up with my correspondence lately. I can just about write my honey a note and that is all. The rest will have to wait until I get more time. Also I'm afraid the nice-naughty ones to you will also have to wait. Have to have time to think when I write those kind.
Got your Thurs letter today. Evidently the mail service isn't quite back to normal yet. Usually get your Thurs. ones on Sun.
Honey, you know damn well your legs lead someplace and you also know what I mean. They may be taking you home, but I bet, if I was to start at the knee and gradually work my hand up I'd eventually come to the same old, nice, soft, warm, hairy place. It better still be there. If it isn't you better be getting it there before I come home again. I'll be looking for it and mighty anxious to find it. I'm warning you.
They are turning out the lights in the day room now, so I guess I have to quit. I'll try to do better next time.
Night sweetheart, I love you so much.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: