Monday, July 4, 2011

Letter # 373 May 20, 1944

West Coast
May 20, 1944
Sat. eve.
My gorgeous wife;
Another week gone by.  For you it means only one more week of school, for me -- very uncertain.  I have heard people say that uncertainty goes to make things interesting.  I don't believe it.  I like to know what is going to happen and when.  I always did like to plan in advance.  I guess that is why I was so damn slow to marry you.  Couldn't see how I was going to keep you and then I found you didn't need much keeping.  You're the nicest and most easily maintained necessity I have.  You may not believe it but you are a necessity to me.  Gosh sweetheart, how I miss you! Can't get used to this being away.  I'd always miss you no matter how long they keep me away.  I'm praying it won't be too long.  I love you.  Baby.
After I had written your letter last night, I got two more from you.  Sun and Monday ones.  That's about the best service we have ever had.  Mailed on the 16th and got here on the 19th.  I have been told that all air mail for the south and west goes to Seattle, Wash. first and is sent out from there.  That might explain the poor service we were getting from it.  I'm anxious to know how mine are coming through to you.  Be sure and tell me. 
You always were a lamb, shorn or not.  Damn betcha I'll love you as much no matter how you wear your hair.
I gather from the way you speak that Gus will be home after his boot training is over.  It hardly seems he has been in long enough for it to be over yet.  Time flies.  If he's anything like me he will never really get over his home sickness either, until he's back with his wife for always.  He may be lucky and be able to have Jean and the family near him most of the time.  Wouldn't that be swell?  I'd sure love to have that happen to us. 
I see you already knew about Steve.  Here I thought I was telling you a very choice piece of news.  You're a devil, but such a sweet desirable devil.  Anyhow I knew it a few hours before I got your letter so we are even there. 
I have his address memorized, but it's like mine, doesn't tell anything.  I couldn't have pulled the strings he did.  If he hadn't looked me up I'm afraid we wouldn't have met.  I'm going to try to go see him if ---- well I can't plan anything. 
I haven't written for the camera because I didn't know if it would catch me.  I'll wait until something else happens and then write for it if I can have it.  Some places won't allow them yet.
I still have my calendar and I did put another mark on it. 
Sounds like you and Louise are getting on very well, staying together and going places together.  I imagine she was a big help on the lawn.  She always liked that type of stuff anyhow.  I imagine she appreciates being able to stay someplace.  I gather she is staying at Lamont's.  You both have something in common, a missing husband. 
We are missing but I can assure you that most of our thoughts and spirits are there with you. We won't loose any time coming back once we can.
Well beautiful, I'm going to leave you for my dreams.  Sometimes my day dreams seem almost real.  No, honey, you aren't forgotten the least little bit.  How could I forget?  A man never forgets the best of his life.  I love you so much, Chubbins.  I hurt all over.  Night my sweetheart.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: