Sunday, July 24, 2011

V-Mail # 388 June 1944 At Sea undated

Sweetheart;
Another beautiful, warm, calm day and we haven't run out of water to travel on yet.  Honey, it is impossible to conceive how big this must be.  Blue water in every direction, as far as the eye can see, and it always looks like we are in the center of a huge, watery bowl, with the horizon always higher than we are.  The Kansas plains always gave the same impression, but there, the view was broken, here and there by trees, a river, or hills - here, it is only limitless blue water.  I'm thinking it is going to get very monotonous.  Sunrise and sunset are the only breaks in the sameness of things.
There is a library on board so I'm not finding it too hard to spend my time.  You know how I like to read.  With reading, sleeping, and shooting the bull, the time goes by pleasantly enough. 
I have been reading your last letter over again.  I do that nearly every day and can almost make it seem that it's a new one.  It answers for the lack of new mail.  Now is the time for you to go back and read over your pile.  You said you intended to, sometime, but never got to it.  Maybe you can get the same satisfaction from that, I do from this one of yours.  Boy, some of these days Ill have a whole basket full of them to read.  I'm continuing this on another sheet.
Love Norman W. Effinger 

No comments: