Friday, July 29, 2011

V-Mail # 394 June 14, 1944 At Sea

Wed.June 14, 1944
My darling Wife;
I don't know how much hard common sense there is to writing to you most every day.  When I know you will undoubtedly get hem all at once anyhow.  Oh well, there never is much common sense about love and if we aren't in love I don't know what to call it.  I don't seem to feel just right unless I can at least have this very unsatisfactory correspondence with you every day.  I do love you so much, sweetheart.  I know you are writing and wondering what the hell and why the hell you aren't getting letters for so long.  It's hard times honey but there aren't any mail boxes out here, so it's the best we can do.  Anyhow I'm thinking of you and loving you all the time, if that's any comfort.  I hope you don't delay your trip so much you can't make it.  I imagine by this time you are waiting for word from me.  I would expect that Louise has already heard from Mick.  I'm wondering where he landed and what has happened to Gus & Tony.  I imagine I'll know as soon as I get the letters you've been writing all this time.  You usually do a very good job of keeping me informed of the news.  I sure appreciate it too.  You're a very swell wife.  Gosh, I love you sweetheart.  Bye honey, I love you. 
your lover
Norm
Norman W. Effinger.

No comments: