Friday, July 22, 2011

Letter # 383 May/June 1944 At Sea

This is an undated V-mail.

My darling Wife;
I thought I'd try a V-mail letter this time.  I don't have so very much to say and I think this will do it very nicely.  How's my beautiful today?  I bet, now that school is over you are catching up on your sleep and rest.  I'm swell and enjoying the boat trip quite a bit.  Only thing wrong with me is homesickness and I've had that all along.  I'm rather used to it.  I do miss you constantly, sweetheart.  I don't know how you do it but even at this distance and after all this time, you are almost constantly in my thoughts and always in my heart.  You got what it takes and plenty to share.  I love you Chubbins. 
Today is another beautiful, calm day.  Sunshiney and warm.  Hardly any waves at all, only long, slow swells that gently rock the ship.  I guess I'm getting my sea legs finally.  I can walk around without staggering like a drunk and even go up and down the ladder without holding to the handrails for dear life.  This is rather a lazy existence.  Very little work to do and plenty of time for bunk fatigue.  Not bad at all. 
The food is good and plenty of it.  I am being well taken care of.   The army can never take care of me like you can.  I'll be glad to have you take over again any time.  Bye, Baby, darling.  I love you so much.  Your hubby. Norman W. Effinger

No comments: