Friday, June 3, 2011

Letter # 372 May 19, 1944

West Coast
May 19, 1944
Friday.
My darling Wife;
No letter from you today.  It's the blank spot caused by Sat & Sun.  I don't know how much of a letter this will be, but I'll work on it anyhow. 
I went back to the clinic and had my teeth cleaned this morning.  Shine like a new dollar now.  First time I even enjoyed the experience enough to want to go back.   I'm very much in favor of girl dentists.  She was a nice looking dark head.  Rather disturbing after living in a masculine world so long, to have a pretty face and a pair of nice red lips only a few inches in front of my face.  I didn't close my eyes and go to sleep like I have done when Stan works on me.  I didn't have the nerve to go any farther than just looking but I did all that, I could.  I did ask her if there wasn't some little thing that I should come back tomorrow for.  No soap, so your husband is saved again.  Good thing these gals don't like me.  If they did I might find it hard to keep from straying.  As it is you won't need to worry about me.  They all think I'm too old or something.  I won't try to disprove their opinions.  I'll wait until I can get back where I'm known. 
The trick on guard was uneventful. 
I bought two of the pictures I spoke about.  I don't know why I bought two but I did.  The photographer will send them to you.  How soon, I don't know.  You'll get them someday.
Honey, I was just interrupted for a couple hours.  Bet you can't guess by what, or maybe you can.  It was Steve!  It sure was a swell day for him to come.  I was still on this guard detail but my shift was all done so I could take as long as he could stay.  He is the same old Steve and yet he isn't.  He seems more talkative and friendly than he ever was.  The woman influence maybe. 
He is leaving on a 20 day leave this coming Wed., and believe it or not, he is going to Boston first and get married.  He is flying through.  He then plans to be around Medina about the 10th of June.  Says he expects to stop and see you.  Can you imagine Steve getting married and talking about it?  We had a real visit for at least two hours.  I sure was glad to see him.  We gossiped like a couple of old maids.  All about our mutual friends and acquaintances.  He had a hell of a time finding me, but being an officer he got around it somehow. 
I had started to tell you about the picture so you could pick out a few of the fellows I talk about.  11th man from right in front row is Brown.  1st from left is Gebhardt.  3rd from left is Mac.  12 from right, second row is Baker. 9 from right, second row is Leo.  That is most of them that I mention regularly.
You will also, I hope, get a few snapshots that one of the boys took and his wife is supposed to send them to you.  They won't mean too much to you until I can tell you about them.  I only saw them for a minute and can't describe them so you will recognize them.
Well honey, I'm rundown and it's chow time so.  Night, sweetheart, I love you so much.  Wish I was going to see you instead of Steve.  Bye, honey, I love you.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: