Sunday, July 24, 2011

V-Mail # 386 undated-June 1944 At Sea

My darling Wife;
Hello, beautiful.  How's things today?  I love you if that helps any.  It helps me a lot to know that you love me.  It's plenty swell to have a wife like you even if I can't see you.  You're there waiting for me and that means an awful lot. 
The weather isn't quite so nice today.  It's been trying to rain nearly all day, without much success.  You can see a few of the spots on this letter.  I guess they will show on the reproduction. 
Day by day the temperature is going up and up. It's nice up on deck in the breeze but down in the hold it's like an oven.  You can bet I spend the most of my time on deck.  Only go below for duty and to sleep.  I even sleep the early part of the night on deck, until it cools off a bit below.  I've been going without a shirt quite a bit and have a good start on a tan.  Maybe I'll be a black man when I come home.  The army sure does all it can to keep me from getting cold.  I think I'll have seen all I ever want to see of the south. 
These letters surely don't amount to much do they?  There isn't a hell of a lot to write about and as I don't have any of yours to furnish inspiration, I'm sunk.  You are my inspiration you know.  Without you I would be really sunk.  Bye again, honey.  I love you.
Your hubby
Norman W. Effinger   

No comments: