Wednesday, July 27, 2011

V-mail # 392 June 12, 1944 At Sea

Mon. June 12, 1944
My Sweetheart;
Another day and still sailing on and on.  The weather has changed a bit though.  It's a lot cooler and the breeze has developed into almost a young gale.  The water is rather rough but it doesn't seem to have much effect on the boat.  Very little more roll than before.  I got drowned a couple times already.  Standing close to the rail when a big wave came over.  We might see a little rough weather yet if this keeps up.  I guess we can take it now.  No one pays attention to it anymore.  It would be interesting to have pictures of this but cameras all had to be turned in.  No pictures allowed.  When we eventually get settled someplace, I'll send for mine if we can have it.  I hope so.  There is a lot of good picture material going to waste. 
I've been reading your May 22 letter again.  That's the last one I got.  Gosh that's a long time not to hear a thing from or about you.  I almost know that letter by memory but it still reads good.  Don't worry.  If there is something you can send me I won't hesitate to ask you for it.  It's a grand feeling to have a sweet wife to lean on whenever I need help.  You are sweet, beautiful, and altogether a very swell wife.  I'm glad I gotcha.  I love you Chubbins, so damn much. 
Your soldier
Norm
Norman W. Effinger

No comments: