Sunday, July 24, 2011

V-Mail # 390 June 9, 1944

My Gorgeous Wife;
Hello Tootsie Wuggles;
How's my baby today?  If good wishes and thoughts can do anything for you, you should be all right.  I'm sending you oceans of them all the time.  It's a hell of a long time now since I've heard but I seem to feel you are O.K.  I love you darling.  I could prove it too. 
I said a few days ago that I had finally gotten my sea legs.  I may have them but I sure have a hell of a time writing.  I can't seem to hold steady enough to make it very legible.  Every time the boat heaves I go with it and so my writing is rather wavy.  Like my walk I reckon.  Get on dry land again and I'll be like a ruptured duck.  Be expecting the ground to either fall away or come up to meet me and I'll be "drunk" all over again.  Cheapest and longest lasting drunk I was ever on.  One more boat trip, the one back home, and I'll be glad to stay for the most part on dry land.  We haven't as yet had anything I would call rough weather.  No big waves as I had expected but only the continuous rise and fall of the swell.  Like going over a huge washboard on a pair of skis. 
Bye my sweet, beautiful wife.  I'm in love with you and no mistake about it. 
your lover
Norm
Norman W. Effinger 

No comments: