Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Letter # 375 May 23, 1944

West Coast
May 23, 1944
Tues. eve.
My Darling;
Don't look for a letter for last night.  There won't be any.  I neglected you and took off to see Steve.  I was lucky enough to get  [there is an 1 1/2 " x 1/4" rectangular slit cut in this sentence where it has been censored]  and thought I might a s well see the big city.  I sure saw it too.  Steve and I rode around in his peep seeing all the sites.  It's a very beautiful city.The first of the big towns I have ever seen that I would even think of living in.  I really had a swell time, only I sure wish you could have been along.  I don't expect I would have seen much of the city if you had been, but I would gladly miss the sights to see you again.  You're the most beautiful scenery I ever saw.  Good for more than mearly looking at too.  Steve took a few snapshots and says he will give you some when he is home.  He will be able to tell you some of the things we did and saw.  Boy, he sure has a snap of a job.  Seems to work when he feels like it and if he doesn't feel like it, he plays tennis, goes swimming  or something to put in the time.  Some guys sure are lucky.  He's really got a snap. 
I have your Wed & Thurs letters to answer.  I'm getting pretty good service on your letters.  I hope you are doing as well on mine. 
You said it honey, when you referred to your letters as " the old life line."  They sure are all that to me.  I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have a wife to write sweet letters to me.  I'm going to be hurtin plenty when the letters don't come every day.  You will be too.  Hard times, honey.  We'll have to develop that telepathy business in place of letters.  It's worked to some extent before.  Maybe it will work again.  I'll be thinking of you any time you listen.  You're sweet.  I love you like anything. 
I'm sure glad to hear that you are starting to get my letters again.  I was beginning to feel bad for you.  I didn't write any while on the trip.  I found that they wouldn't be posted until we got here anyhow, so I couldn't see the use in it. Beside, no one knew just what we could say or what we couldn't say. 
Good for you sweetheart.  I knew you could take the bad news and keep your chin up.  Regular thoroughbred, that's my wife. 
We won't argue about who is going to have to take it most.  You haven't any easy proposition either. I'm so nice I don't see how you can possibly get along without me.  How's that? 
No one knows much about the regulations yet, that will be imposed on what you can mail to me.  At this time it would be useless to try to mail me anything but letters.  I might not get it for a long time. 
I will ask for the camera when the time is right. 
Don't even think about a birthday present for me.  There isn't a thing that I could use.  We can't take anything extra.  Anyhow I had my heart set on that very special present, you, that you were going to send, that I'm afraid, I wouldn't properly appreciate anything else you might send.  Save all that until I get home and then you can give me all the presents you want to.  There are some I could name that I'll even ask for if they aren't readily given. 
I'll let you know when there is anything I want, so don't worry about it.  For the present just keep writing me nice letters.  You're a very sweet girl.  I love you.  You're my wife.  Boy!
You and Louise should be some small comfort to each other.  In practically the same circumstances at about the same time.  If she only doesn't get a "solitary" spell again you should get on good. 
Go ahead and plan your trip and have good time, only -- don't you dare let some wolf take you away from me while I can't defend myself.  If you do I'll up and get me a black native or some other color and haunt you beside.  So there. 
My reference to Funny was purely of a geographic nature.  Your reference to Mick also applies.  Steve thinks he might have a chance to stay for some time yet. 
This is my "weather report" for today.  Here is the "sugar report". Very scarce.  Impossible to get any that is at all satisfactory.  I miss my "sweetness" more keenly than I have ever missed anything before.  I've plenty of money to pay any price and still I can't satisfy my desire until I get back home where there is plenty for free.  I love you, honey.  Night, sweetheart.  I'm dreaming of you and loving you so much. 
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: