Thursday, July 7, 2011

Letter # May 25, 1944

West Coast
May 25, 1944
Thursday After.
Beautiful;
I mean that too.  No one can ever look as beautiful to me as you do.  You got what it takes.  You're a peach and I do love peaches!  I love you something terrible.  Last time I saw you I squeezed you so hard your ribs were sore.  This next time I'll probably break them.  Better get a set of armor or something before I get home again.  It's liable to be quite a while, but I won't forget about you.  Seems the longer I'm away the more I miss you and want to see you. 
Never was that way about anyone before.  If I didn't see them regular I almost forgot them.  Did you think I had forgotten you even a little bit, the times I've been home?  Well you haven't seen anything yet.  That's a promise. 
If it so happens that the next time is for good and it might well be, I'll spend the first month or so living up to that promise.  I won't go back to work until you get tired of having me under foot all the time, or until our money runs out and I have to go to work so we can eat. 
That really isn't idle talk either.  I'm planning to spend quite a time staying at home with you and only doing a few of the odd jobs around the place for exercise.  Honey, you'll see so much of me and I'll be such a pest you'll maybe wish I was back in the army again.  Don't you ever tell me that though.  I think I would treat anyone rather rough that would say that. 
I remember you once said that I would soon go back to my old routine, working outside or in the basement all the time and not wanting you to bother me.  It does sound very natural.  I was that way before.  Probably too much so, but I did get a lot of things done that way and still didn't neglect you too badly. 
Sweetheart, that was the old me - and the old you.  That was before I knew what it was to be away from you and miss you more than I ever thought it possible to miss anyone and before I realized how much  I loved you.  That isn't all either.  I don't think I'm the only one who has changed.  I may be wrong, but I think you have changed a little in some respects.  For the better too.
I honestly believe it will be impossible for me to ever be like I used to be again.  I had to learn the hard way and having learned I won't entirely forget again, ever.  What do you think of that? 
Gosh sweetheart, we've got a lot of grand times ahead.  Years and years when we will be together all the time.  Working, playing, loving.  It sure is something to look forward to with anticipation.  It will happen too and may not be so awful long either - I hope. 
No letter today.  It should be your weekend letter so that is the answer to that.  I miss 'em when it's only one day.  What will I do when I don't get any for weeks?  I'll be hurtin.  So will you.  I'll send 'em every time we are allowed. 
This wasn't a very newsy letter.  There isn't any news so it's a poor love letter. 
Night sweetheart.  I'm sending you lots of love and kisses.  I loves my wife so much.
Your lover
Norm.

No comments: