Saturday, July 30, 2011

V-Mail # 396 June 19, 1944

Mon. June 19, 1944 
Darling;
I've been neglecting you the past three days and didn't write on Fri, Sat, or Sun.  I thought we were gong to get some mail and so I was waiting.  I did not have any news to tell you anyhow.  We did touch land for a bit and that was all.  Even though I had my feet on land for a very short time, I really enjoyed it.  Felt good to get back on something that didn't rock and roll under my feet all the time.  
What I've seen is interesting and rather pretty.  The temperature isn't too bad.  I wouldn't guess over ninety degrees or ninety five degrees.  It's humid though and seems to rain a light shower several times a day.  The beaches are lined with coconut palms and they are all bearing too.  I saw some with as many as 50 nuts to a tree.   Looks like the pictures we've always seen of them. 
If this was a sample of what we can expect where ever we are going, we shouldn't be hurtin very much. Out year in La. was plenty training for this climate. 
Gosh, I was hoping I'd have a letter to answer today.  I can't kick though.  There will probably be a bunch waiting or come soon after we land while you will still have to wait for these to go all the way back to you.  I hope you are getting along all right, honey and not worrying too much about me.  I'm getting along in good shape and I'm also loving and missing you like hell.  I love you sweetheart.  Norm
Norman W. Effinger 

No comments: