Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Letter # 376 May 24, 1944

West Coast
May 24, 1944
Wed. Evening
My Sweetheart;
You're  beautiful, honey.  I have your picture propped up on a 2 x 4 by my bed where I can see you all the time.  Even after four years I can't help but wonder how I was so lucky.  It kinda hurts, sometimes to look at your picture, but it's a sweet hurt.  I've got an awful lot to come back to.  I'm ready to come back at any time.  The sooner the better for me.  I love you, honey. 
Only a couple more days and you will be a lady of leisure again for a couple months.  Have a good rest and lots of fun.  You have it coming.  I wish to hell you were packing to come see me for your vacation.  That would be better than a vacation for me.  This out here would be a perfect set up. Almost within walking distance.  Wouldn't that be something.  If it wasn't for that little word "if". 
I got your Fri letter today.  They are coming along regular.  I'm still getting papers and magazines from the old camp.  I got the Gazette from the 12th today. 
It evidently wasn't as difficult to refuse a new teaching contract as you expected it to be.  You have that much settled and now when you get the other signed up you will be located again.  I hope you like the new job as much as you expect to.  Don't get to liking it better than housekeeping for me, 'cause some of these days I'm going to insist that you take over again.  You will won't you?  You better. 
Honey, that lawn mowing proposition must really be bad medicine for you.  It is quite a job.  If it gets too much for you, forget it or else mow only the front or some such arrangement.  Too bad there isn't some kid around that you could hire to do it for you.  I'd do it for almost nothing.  You can do your own guessing as to what "nothing" is. 
I can't seem to do much good at writing tonight.  I've been at this a couple hours already and this is all I've accomplished.  I guess I'll quit for tonight.  I'll try to do better another time.  I'm missing you, darling, and loving you like hell.  Wish I could prove it.  Night my sweetheart wife.  I love you. 
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: