Friday, July 29, 2011

V-mail # 393 June 13, 1944 At Sea

Tues. June 13, 1944
My darling Wife;
I am beginning to feel like Columbus must have when he sailed on day after day and wondered what he was going to find at the end of his trip.  We don't know any more about where we are or how much longer it will be than he did.  Only, of course we don't have to worry about coming to a jumping off place. 
I have just had a very nice salt water shower and shave.  I got so clean I can rub my hand over my body and the dirt rolls up with it.  It's impossible to get clean but I do get most of the old sweat off.  I tried to wash a bath towel.  It was black and sticky as hell and after working on it for half an hour and using a bar of soap it was almost as dirty and smelled as bad as before so I gave up.  Do my washing when we get on land again.  I'll have a good big one too.  I've got almost everything I own dirty.  Have to look me up a wash woman.  Of course I only want her to do my washing for me.  I'm hard up but not that bad. 
How is everything at our little home?  Tell me all about everything when you don't know what else to write.  Bye you good looking old devil.  I could sure go for a little of your charm and loving.  I loves you sweetheart.  your hubby
Norm
Norman W. Effinger

No comments: