Sunday, July 24, 2011

V-Mail # 391 June 11, 1944

Sun. June 11, 1944
Hello Beautiful;   I
Last night while I lay on deck looking at the stars I was thinking:  It's only 2 months today since I left you again and look at all that has happened.  I guess we have made up for staying in one place for a whole year.  When we started to move, we really did it and make no mistake.  Not done yet either.  I was also thinking about our last evening together.  It was a very nice evening, even if it was our last for a long time.  I suspicion ed it might be but I didn't know until later that you did also.  One of your letters told me that you were wise to it as much as I.  Smart girl, aren't you?  Making me think you had no misgivings about what was coming.  Brave too.  I wasn't trying to keep anything from you but I didn't try to worry you with what were only guesses on my part.  Can't fool you any, can I?  Anyhow, you gave me a lot of wonderful memories to take along with me.  I'll remember and cherish them too until I get a new batch to push the old into the background.  I'm sure hoping I won't be too long getting that new batch either and this time I hope and think they won't have to be interrupted again.  Won't it be grand to know we won't have to part again - ever  -  
continued  -
Norman W. Effinger

Sun. June 11, 1944
Sweetheart;  II   Continued.
One of the nicest memories is a picture of you that is impressed on my mind.  Gosh honey, you were beautiful.  You looked so good I hardly knew what was happening around me.  Couldn't keep my eyes off you.  I sure was tempted to take you along if only to be with me on the trip back to Polk.  You'll never know how close I came to suggesting it.  I really was thinking of it.  You looked so damn good.  That nice fitting black dress and hat.  Yes, even the veil too.  Soft white throat and face with flushed spots on the cheeks.  [beer or excitement, I don't know which.]  Tempting red lips and eyes that looked black and sparkling and rather impish at times. 
Remember when you pulled the veil down to tempt me?  Well I rather liked it.  You were beautiful  I had never noticed so much before, that, at night, and when you are a little excited or emotional, your eyes look really black and snappy.  I had seen it a few times before but never so much so.  Really, honey, you were so beautiful and I loved you so much I was almost "floating."  I didn't wake up until you were gone for some time.  It's a picture I'll never forget.  I'll be looking forward to the next time, when I won't be leaving in a few minutes. 
Continued
Norman W. Effinger

Sun. June 11, 1944
Tootsie Wuggles;   III   Continued
I expect that by this time Steve is in Medina with his new bride and you may have seen and talked with him.  Anyhow, by the time you get this you will have.  If he told you the same things he told me you have a very good idea.  His information was to the best of my knowledge at the present time, correct in almost every respect. 
We are still sailing on and on and on.  There doesn't seem to be any end to this water.  It has cooled off a very little bit and aside from the heat, is beautiful weather.  I never supposed it possible to be at sea so long and not have some bad storms. 
I've been on detail one day, guard duty, and otherwise, aside from cleaning my gun and a few odd jobs, like that, my time has been largely my own.  I've done a lot of reading and  lot of just sitting.  Somehow the days
seem to roll by.  Aside from being almost too lazy to go for chow I'm feeling very good and ornery.  I'll be glad to get my feet on old mother earth again and have room enough to move around a bit. 
Sweetheart, I guess I've done pretty well for today.  anyhow, I'm run down.  Bye darling.  I loves you and loves you and loves you. 
your hubby
Norm
Norman W. Effinger 

  

No comments: