Thursday, December 30, 2010

Letter # 164 December 27, 1943

Dec 27, 1943
Monday eve.
My darling wife;
The mailman finally broke down and brought me some letters today. Your two Wed. ones and one Thurs. I also got a letter from Vi and a card from Aunt Annie & Rose.
While I am thinking of it, I am out of air mail stamps and as the P.O. is closed, I haven't been able to get any more. I will as soon as I can, again, but for now, regular mail will have to do I guess.
I didn't go to the field after all. Brownie sent Baker instead. We had a lot of work here in the garage and he wanted me to stay in.
We went down to work again this evening but couldn't do much. The equipment we needed wasn't available so we quit by 2000. Gives me time to write you a letter.
We are still having rain and more rain. Sure is a muddy, sloppy, son of a bitch.
I went to the show last evening, "The More, The Merrier" with Jean Arthur and_____. Can't remember the men. After all, why should I? She's a nice looking wench. Honey, if you haven't seen it don't miss it. It's crazy but there are a couple of love scenes in it that nearly got the best of me. Can remember times when I felt and acted nearly the same. I said nearly. Don't think I was quite that slow on the uptake. Wish I could have had you to take home afterward. Kinda stirred me up and I'll bet you'd have had to calm me down. As it was, I just went to bed and slept it off.
How did you like the little story yesterday? Is that more the kind you can stand? Don't want to get you too worked up. You might be tempted to encourage some of those truck drivers just a little bit. If they have any red blood it wouldn't take more than a very little bit of encouragement from you to get results. If you don't believe it. Try a little encouragement on me next time. See what happens then. I love you, honey.
Don't worry about causing me too much trouble with the telegram. It really wasn't trouble. I just couldn't make up my mind which I was going to say. I knew at once what I should say, but I had a hell of a time convincing myself I was going to say it. I called myself foolish because I left my head get the better of my other feelings. I figured you knew what you were letting yourself in for by taking a trip as long as that at this time, and you have never had any experience, traveling by yourself. Which would make it a lot worse. If you loved me that much and wanted to see me so badly, you were willing to do all that. I certainly was foolish, [my heart or something is talking now] to advise you not to come. That is also why I said, if I needed proof that you loved me, that was it.
I know it would have been a terrible trip for you. You're a very sweet and generous wife. I love you, honey. You'd do almost anything to make me happy. Wouldn't you? I sure must have you fooled plenty. I'm not worth that much.
You asked about the difference in time between here and home. There isn't any difference since Ohio is back on slow time. We are still on fast time and that makes it exactly the same. It's 2040 here right now and the same where you are.
Sure sounds like Mickey is getting to the kind of places I wanted to be. I bet it is nice out there. I haven't answered their card yet either. Must do that.
One big reason I didn't call you instead of wire was because I was afraid that you would talk me into saying you should come. It wouldn't have taken much persuasion. Glad Pop was rather on my side of the fence. I still think I was right and that helps to make me certain. We usually seem to agree.
Don't you be too certain about me having a harder time of it than you. I don't believe it. Remember, I always used to be an independent cuss, and even though that is all changed now, thanks to you, I'm still a little more independent than you. You were always used to being taken care of, even spoiled a little, and here you are thrown entirely on your own with a home and everything to take care of. Quite a change I'd say. You're doing a swell job and I'm proud of you, Sweetheart.
Ed and Betty sent two flat fifties of Camels and some handkerchiefs. I sure have a locker full of clothes now. Break my back if I ever have to put it all in a barracks bag and tote it any distance. Hope that was just a part of basic training.
I guess I'll have to say this so there is no room for doubt either. I don't want a bracelet. You're a devil, but I sure love you. Always wanting to do or get something for me. Save your money so you can give me something I want a bit more. Guess what? You! All of you, all the time.
Vi also mentioned the party, New Years. Have a good time honey and drink a few for me. Maybe I'll be drinking a few for myself at the same time. Get good and "high" sweetheart. I'll be thinking of you and loving you.
What do you mean, it doesn't seem right to do things like that without me? It is strange and something is missing but surely it's right.
Here's to you honey. You're the best little wife a man ever had and I hope you have a happy New Year.
I love you darling. I'll always be loving you and wanting to be by you.
Night Tootsie Wuggles.
Your lover
Norm.

No comments: