Sunday, December 19, 2010

Letter # 157 December 20, 1943

Dec 20, 1943
Tootsie Wuggles, Darling;
Honey, you should have seen me this evening. Been sewing on patches ever since supper. They did like I thought they would, put off getting the rest of them for us until they wanted us to have them on and then say, "All patches will be on all clothing." by such a time. You see they only got two for each of us before. Well today they say the patches are here and will be on by Wed. morning. Some shit.
The company goes out at noon tomorrow and will come back Thurs. evening. Don't know if I go or not. It isn't my turn. It's Mac's but it's always hard to tell. So you see that meant that the patches would be put on tonight. I got them, all but one, on before the lights went out and then I said, "Fuck 'em" and am now in the day room writing to my honey.
If I do go out you probably won't have a letter for a couple days again. I'm getting very lazy about my writing, aren't I darling? I'll try to keep enough of them coming so you know what's up most of the time anyhow.
So you are now a woman of leisure for two whole weeks. Think you can stand it? Bet you'll be homesick for school by the end of the first week. It sure is too bad I'm not in the tank school at Knox now. Bet I know where you would be then.
I got your Friday letter today and I still have your Thurs. one to answer so here goes.
I don't know what the story is on emptying the camp, if there is any story at all. The 8th is supposed to come back sometime in Jan. I guess. As for the 710th, Grafton's outfit, or ours, I don't know anything at all. Just wait and see I guess.
Apparently from your Friday letter, you rather expected to get the answer I sent. I'm glad you weren't too set on it. I am rather surprised to hear that Mom was in on it. I thought it was just an impulsive idea of your own. Honestly honey, I never even thought of checking the time of month until you mentioned it in this letter. Would have been just as glad to see you in any condition. It surely wouldn't be just an aggravation, as you say. It would be a little disappointing , but you know I used to see you and even slept with you once and never got anything either. I enjoyed it all and had good times then and I surely could now. You mean a lot more to me now than you did then. I sure do love you physically but I also love you other ways too.
I'm still working on the candy and cookies and having a good time with them. Ought to be good for a few more pounds.
I mentioned the book because I thought you might like to read it. You always liked that kind. I imagine it's a regular publication. Probably in the library.
If it comes to saying which one of our meetings was the best, I'm afraid I can't say. I'll never forget either of them. They were swell. If I had to pick one I'd pick the last, because then I could see you all the time and be with you every night. Didn't have to put on my pants and go back to camp.
I heard an interesting little piece of news today from a fellow in this outfit that knew Ernie and saw him just before the 8th left. Ernie went and got himself married while he was home on furlough, just after he got back from Knox. Guess the Louisville gal really had him. She was down here for a while. Don't know if she is still here or not.
I got the Gazette with Steve's announcement in it today. Bet it will cause some talk around the town now.
Well sweetheart, I'm still way behind with my work, chores, I mean. Got a pair of fatigues to wash yet tonight so I guess I better be getting at it. Merry Christmas, darling, I'm thinking of you and wishing I could be with you. Night honey. I love you.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: