Sunday, December 19, 2010

Letter # 156 December 20, 1943

Dec 20, 1943
Hello Sweetheart;
I had just a busy workday today. Quit about 1700 and now I have most of my chores caught up so I'll write to my honey. I've got four of yours here to answer so guess I better get at it.
Nothing of news interest to tell you, except my little trip to Leesville and I'll tell you that some other time.
Sorry you are having some trouble keeping the house warm. I imagine the biggest trouble is that you are gone so much. The heat gets down and it just can't be built up fast again. Carl probably helped it some but I doubt if much was wrong. My idea in speaking to Mrs. Barr was for him to fire it at noon and then by the time you came home it might be warm enough. It is almost impossible to hurry it up. The smokestack of pipe in the kitchen radiator was a left over from when I first put the furnace in and had to fill it with a pail. It won't do any harm because it is above the highest radiator. The explanation of the radiator slanting away from the returns is: I put the system in exactly the way the engineers specified and they said they should slant slightly away from the returns so any air collecting would be forced to the return and where the bleeding valve is. After I got a little experience of my own at installing them I formed my own ideas and we put the rest of them in level or slightly high at the far end. It did seem to work some better but that isn't the trouble with the system. I had just about figured out how to remedy the faults and was going to this past summer but something happened. The army got in the way. The engineers figured the place wrong and the radiator isn't big enough to take care of the area in that big room fast enough. I was going to add additional heating coils in each radiator and split the lines downstairs. The hot water leaves the furnace and goes to the kitchen, bath, bedrooms, and living room last. It just takes it too long to get around to get the most benefit of it. The circulator doesn't help either.
However, there is one thing that you or someone might check. A couple times I found that a couple of the hangers that hold the pipe to the basement joists had pulled loose and left the pipe sag. That is the only thing I can think of that can easily be remedied and might do some good. That is if any of them are loose. Hope you can get along without freezing. If it gets too much for you, you know what to do. Close her up and go home to Mom & Pop.
Glad to hear Gus {Maitland} has a reprieve of some time, at least. Maybe they will begin to wake up soon and leave those fellows at home. I sure hope so.
I'm thinking about the same of Louise's invitation as you did. If I'm only going to see you for a couple days I sure don't want to be bothered with other people. I'd sure have enough loving to make up to keep us busy that long at least. Beside that it would take two of my three days to get there and back. Kinda useless. We won't have that much time off anyhow. Probably only Saturday.
I'm eligible for a three day pass, two days and Sunday, and probably could get it on a couple days notice most any time but now. I didn't think I wanted to go anyplace so I didn't ask for one. I don't know why I'm saying all this because it's out anyhow. I was foolish enough to advise you to stay at home. I thought it best. No question about me being foolish. Any man would be foolish to refuse such a Christmas present. You're so sweet and generous I just couldn't help but love you sweetheart.
Don't get me wrong honey, I'm not refusing such a wonderful gift. I'm just postponing getting it for a while. I'll be around to collect some of these days. I love you honey.
Don't you worry your pretty head about getting me anything more for Christmas. You've done very well, judging by the size of the package. I don't remember if I told you I had gotten the second one or not. I did and it's safely stowed away in a barracks bag. I haven't looked and I won't until Sat. morning. I really don't want an identification bracelet. Don't know what the hell I'd do with it. Some of the boys have them and wear them when they go out, but they are the kind that like jewelry. You know me I never wanted a ring or anything.
Your weather begins to sound like Christmas. Alright, don't you freeze yourself up. We had a spell of right chilly weather also, but this afternoon it warmed up. Like spring again.
I got a package from Ed & Betty today. Another with, "Wait until Christmas" so it is reposing with the rest in the barracks bag. Who said Christmas doesn't come to La.? Looks like I've got Santa right here.
So you finally got that long lost letter. Now we don't have to wonder what was in it anymore.
Well sweetheart, this may be the last letter you get before Christmas so I'm going to wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year. I know it won't be like past years but we still have a lot to be happy about. I'll be missing you like hell but I'll still be happy. I know you are waiting for me and loving me and that, by itself, is plenty to be happy about. I love you darling. Here's to you and may it be the last we are ever apart. Night Sweetheart.
Your soldier
Norm.

No comments: