Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Letter # 162 December 25, 1943

Dec 25, 1943
Hello Santa Clause wife;
Well honey, I waited until after dinner to open the package, mostly because we had a couple nuisance raids, that is my name for some of the army shit. We were off but we still had to make our beds up like we do for inspections, and sweep and scrub the barracks and then we didn't know until about 1000 if anything was expected of us or not, so I didn't want to have a mess around from opening packages.
We had to dress in best bib & tucker for dinner and then they said dinner wouldn't be until 1 so we went to the P.X. to get an appetizer. Several bottles of beer. On the way back we met a couple fellows that had liquor and had several snorts. Boy we were having a good time!
Dinner was a swell meal, just about like Thanksgiving only we had a program along with it. Someone singing or speaking all through the meal. The officers and their wives ate with us. Only one soldier had his wife here. Nearly all the boys had a load of Christmas cheer, the officers also, so it was quite an uproarious affair. I won't say much about what we had because the Captain had menus printed and put at each plate. It also has a complete roster of the men in the company. It has me listed as a T/5 but you can just mentally put me up with the T/4's. I'll send it along when I send the Yanks & etc. We had a very good and pleasant Christmas dinner.
Now that is taken care of I can cover the presents. Honey, you're a sweet old devil. "I didn't get you much," you said, but I thought you did very well. It was a swell Christmas honey, honestly. Very nice to have a sweet wife like you thinking of me and giving me things. More presents than I've had, to open at one time, for years. Thanks so much honey. I'll make it up to you sometime. I betcha.
The shirts, belt and everything were swell. Just about what I'd have bought myself. The dog tag chain is almost exactly like the one the army gave me. Even the hooks are the same. Don't worry about me thinking the cigarette lighter a cheap gadget. I know it isn't. I've seen them advertised. I bet it's a handy thing to have on bivouac. The big shots can't see the light and give me hell for smoking. I can "fuck" 'em now. I don't know about how much time I'll have to use the games, but the pinup gals are good to look at. Still none of them as good as you though. That one in front of the mirror bears a slight resemblance. I've seen you undress in front of the mirror and if this gal wasn't a blond it wouldn't be a bad likeness. Kinda makes me homesick for the good old days. I'd give a lot to be looking at your reflection in the mirror, while I lay on the bed and wait for you. Remember? sweetheart.
Thanks a lot honey for all the surprises.
You surely did all you could possibly do to make my Christmas as merry as possible. You're so sweet and thoughtful darling. It just kinda chokes me up, thinking about you and loving you. I sure was a lucky boy when I got you for my wife. Hope I can do enough for you to deserve you. I'll try to be good to you Tootsie Wuggles.
The sweater Vi made for me is a bit of all right. Fits perfectly. Don't see that she has any reason to think it isn't so good. I think it's a good job. I know it's going to feel mighty good these cold nights we have sometimes. Tell Mom & Pop, thanks a lot for the billfold. I can use it. The old one is pretty well beat up. Don't expect to ever have it full of money, but I can fill it with identification, licence & etc. It['s a dandy. Candy was very good. I say was because it's all gone already. Even on top of a big dinner I had room for that and I wasn't alone.
You thought of almost everything didn't you darling? Polish for my brass, carrier for matches, reading matter, and even another bunch of funnies. No wonder it took a lot of time to pack. Even another card.
Honey, a Varga girl can't even come close to you. She hasn't anything but curves and looks. You've got all the curves and looks and brains to boot. No wonder I love you so much. I'd be a rather poor specimen if I didn't. I can't tell you exactly what I mean. I'll have to wait until I get a chance to show you. Bet I'll show you or die trying.
I got a book about the Armored Command today, similar to the one we were to get when we were in the 8th. Has some good pictures and explanations of these outfits. Send it along also. Don't know just when. I'll get it done probably soon.
I haven't gotten a letter from you for two days now so I can't answer them. I imagine, the round about way our mail comes now and the Christmas rush is responsible. Bet I get a whole lot of them tomorrow.
My heel seems to be coming along swell. Hardly sore any more. Guess I won't get a chance to see those nurses yet for a while.
Thanks again darling for a very swell Christmas. Only one thing could have made it any better and you even offered that, but I was foolish enough to refuse. I still think I was right, that's the sensible part of me does, but there are other parts of me that don't agree. Contrary to what you're thinking my heart heads the list. I love you so much, [so does "it" ]. Bye for today sweetheart. You're tops and I love you.
Your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: