Thursday, December 16, 2010

Letter # 153 December 14, 1943

Dec 14, 1943
Tues. eve.
Hello Darling;
No letter today. I made a mistake answering all your letters last night. I almost never get one on Tues and then on Wed. I get two. That's what I meant when I suggested you take a vacation and not write one on Sat. I guess I took advantage of the postal system and didn't write one last Sat. night. That wasn't the real reason though. I really intended to write but after all the bar I wasn't in the writing mood. Bet it would have been a crazy one if I had written. I was more in the mood to love than to write. You gals aren't the only ones that can have beer parties. Don't worry honey, that was probably the last one for a long time again. Just once in a while that it tastes good enough to drink more than a bottle or so.
The schedule changed today. We didn't go out. Instead we go tomorrow and come back Thurs. night, stay in Friday, and go out Sat. and Sunday. It's my turn to go tomorrow and I guess we are all going out Sat. & Sun. Looks like you will be hurtin for letters. I'll try to write one Fri. at least. I may get a chance to write in the field but I doubt it. It gets dark so early there isn't time to write even if I'm not working.
Most of our bivouacs are tactical and that means no lights. I've gotten so I can do a lot of things in the dark but I still can't write in the dark. I'm getting handy as hell at feeling with my hands in places I can't see. Good training working on these tanks. I may be able to show you a new trick or two next time. You know I never was very handy with my hands. Had to practice a long time before I could open a brassier strap with one hand. That was fun.
We worked inside all day today and have most of the tanks ready to roll again. See what kind of luck I have this time. Maybe will loose them all in the mud tomorrow. It's been raining steadily all day and still at it. Cold north wind along with it. Cuts through like the east winds we have at home just before a big snow storm. Seems cold as hell. Had my wool undershirt on all day and wasn't a bit too warm. The radio forecast said it would probably freeze a little tonight. If it doesn't warm up tomorrow it's going to be cool around the edges. sleeping under the stars tomorrow night.
It's a lot like I expected it might be here this winter. When it does get cool it's mean as hell. Wouldn't feel the cold a bit more if it was really cold. On the whole it's been really swell ever since I've been here this fall. I know I'd much rather spend my winters here than my summers. Being south in the summer is "shit for the birds". Some more army slang.
I still say I'd spend both winter and summer in the north if I had my choice. I surely can't realize it's only ten more days until Christmas and another week after that we'll have an anniversary. Seven years since we had our first date. At the time I never thought it would be a date I'd never forget. How did I know you were going to be so fascinating, I could never forget you? Wasn't because you were so nice to me either. Even slept with another man. Guess I must have liked you even then, although I didn't know it then. I know I love you now. No doubt about it.
I got a Christmas card from Marg today. Sent a small picture with it. Says she is sending you one also. Very good picture I thought. She says Bob wrote her and doesn't seem to think the army wants him very bad.
Damn it all sweetheart, I wanted to make this a very nice letter, to sort of make up for the ones you won't get, but I guess I'm just not in the groove tonight. Can't seem to think of much to write about. I haven't time enough left to tell you how much I love you. I need lots of time for that.
Night sweetheart. I'm loving you and thinking of you constantly. Wish I could show you constantly. We will someday again. Won't we darling?
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: