Saturday, December 11, 2010

Letter # 149 December 9, 1943

Dec 9, 1943
Thurs Eve.
My Darling Wife;
I'm afraid this is going to be cut a little short. We just got done at about 2030 so it's only a few minutes until lights go out. Of course I could go down to the crapper and write but I still have my personnel hygiene to take care of and then I guess I better go to bed. Will maybe have a tough day tomorrow. I go out with the tanks on some sort of problem or other. Just for tomorrow. Be back in at night.
I got a letter and a great big box from you today. You must have sent the whole place to me. You see I haven't had time to open it yet so I don't know what you did send. I'll get to that tomorrow. Meanwhile I can wonder. I'll have a big time opening all these packages. I haven't as yet opened the ones from Hazel & Mom or the South Pike Club. Got a whole barracks bag full of packages. I may be in the army and far away from home, but it sure looks like I should have plenty of Christmas. Won't lack anything but a wife. I don't like that but I'll get along I guess. We have lots more of them coming after I'm home again.
So you got an explanation of the gift from Mrs. Wilkerson and you had already opened it. I bet you'd have been wild if you had to wait until Christmas Day. Wouldn't you? Yes honey, I would like to go back there some day. We had such a swell time and they were so nice. Don't find too many like them. There will always be a warm spot in my heart for the place and them. I sure had a swell time there. Wouldn't mind repeating a bit. Have to make that another date for some time in the future. I'll have you all dated up yet. Only hope I can afford to keep all the dates I'm making.
Don't fret about me not getting enough sleep. I get plenty. More than I did at home, but of course, I don't have any loving to help keep me going. It helps a lot too.
Honey, if you had spent that much money for a dog tag chain, I believe I'd have spanked you. The silver one cost you plenty. Don't worry, I'll wear it. I'll save it for special occasions. Like coming to see you and use the other one for work.
I'll say night for now sweetheart. Will write about the presents and properly thank you for being so sweet when I have more time and can do it better. I loves you darling.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: