Thursday, December 16, 2010

Letter # 154 December 16, 1943

Dec 16, 1943
My Darling Wife;
Here I am, honey, back from the wide open spaces, and early enough so I have a chance to write to you. Sure had a hell of a time. No lack of things happening.
To begin with we are having a cold spell. As cold as it usually gets down here they say. Wind out of the north and feels like it was below zero. I had on about all the clothes I could get on and still be able to move, and was as cold as I have ever been, I believe. It got down to 18 degrees above and froze ice about 1/2" thick last night. You can probably imagine how it would be to "tinker" engines and ride in an open vehicle in that kind of miserable weather. To begin with we aren't equipped with clothing for winter weather. No combat suits or overshoes or even gloves. However, we lived through it very nicely. None the worse for wear.
We had our first breakdown before we had gone a mile. Not a serious one and we soon caught up with the convoy. About 15 miles out we got our second yellow flag. Damn thing just wouldn't run good, no power, missing on several cylinders. I fussed around with it a while and then attempted to start it. The starter then decided to go on the blink and stuck, locking the engine. Got that fixed, started it, but it was still missing. Looked into it a little farther and decided that the valves on two cylinders had burned up. Nothing to do but send it back to camp. Boy was that a happy tank crew. They wouldn't have to spend the night in the field. While I was working they wanted to bribe me not to fix it and send them on. Believe they would have gladly paid me a ten spot to send them in. Maybe I can work a racket there if I ever get hard up. Got them turned around and headed back and then when we tried to go our half track wouldn't start. The half track driver, fellow named Hanson from Kansas, and my helper, nice young kid, also from Kansas, gave up. They were so cold they didn't care if we got going or not. They built a fire and went on a strike. I worked and swore at the damn thing for better than an hour, but got her going. Had a burned out condenser and a plugged gas line all at the same time. By this time it was getting dark and we took off, "like a big ass bird" ,some more slang, on the trail of the convoy. We got to the bivouac area about 1900, long after dark.
The motor Lt. was sure glad to see us. Had a lot of troubles to be fixed up and he was wondering what in the hell had happened to his mechanics. Told me they were keeping chow for us and we'd better go get it. We did.
After chow and a cigarette, by a great big fire, we were ready to go to work again. I told Hanson to park the half track, build a nice fire, and get our beds ready and Baker and I would check the tanks. Didn't take long to find out we would have to have some parts or at least six tanks would not leave in the morning. Reported to Lt. Newberger and he sent a peep back to camp for the parts. I also told him there were three tanks that I advised sending in. I didn't think they would make the long march the next day. The Co. Commander said, "To hell with it." "Send them on and if they drop out we'll tow them in later."
Well to shorten the story Baker and I worked until 0200 and then got mad and quit. We were about frozen and tired. Hanson had done a good job. Nice big fire and beds all ready. Warmed up a bit and rolled in.
Next thing I knew it was 0600 and the convoy was already moving out. Lt. Newberger had left us sleep as long as possible but that made us miss breakfast. Had two tanks that still needed some work so we went at them. They were ready to roll by 0800 and we took out, in high, after the main convoy. Never did catch it. We had to have two of the three bad ones towed in. One threw the crankshaft counter balance out through the side of the engine and the other got too hot and caught fire. The third one fooled me. It got in with the rest. So you see I had a busy day.
My good luck average is sure suffering. Don't misunderstand. It's no discredit to me. Just have to keep them going until they blow up before the army will give us parts or time to properly repair them. So ends "my day".
I got your Sat letter on Wed and your Sun one today. Darling I've been kinda wondering what reaction I would get from that letter. Didn't really expect quite as strong a reaction as I got. Must have been rather "hot' to stir you up so much. Maybe it is kind of mean to tease you but I have been itching to write such a letter for sometime. It was, as you say, "sweet misery" and I rather liked it. Afraid I may try it again sometime. Maybe about the times in different positions or something. Gorgeous, all you have to do to get the bathtub one is crawl in and say, "Come and get it." I'll try anything to get some of your special kind of loving, not only now, but anytime. You can bet I wasn't exactly calm while I was writing that letter but don't get the idea that I'm really in misery or anything like that. Just normally ornery. If I was around some nice gals all the time I imagine it would be rather hard to take, but I see so few I'm not bothered very much.
I'm honest about this sweetheart. It's not a bit harder for me than it is for you, if as hard. You are always with other couples that are living and talking normal lives. I'm not, and consequently probably don't miss it as much as you do. I have always said the army is harder on a good woman than on a man.
I'll have quite a lot of loving, all saved up for you, when that 4th honeymoon comes but I'm really not suffering. Just "hurtin" and loving you the best I can from a distance.
Honey, I don't believe you know me yet. Thinking I could get eloquent about loving you. If I could ever get eloquent about anything, that should be it. I like that more than anything I've ever done. Will even love you rather than eat. Remember ? Shall we eat or shall we love? I can't remember ever eating first. Yes. You still have something to learn about me. I know I can't tell you very well how much I love you, but just wait until I get a chance to show you. I'll still be just as hard and responsive to you as ever. I love you honey.
Did you forget about the one you took sitting on my lap? Good old Louisville. If you couldn't shed your clothes when your Sgt. walked in, I bet your Sgt. could shed them for you. You're the nicest thing ever. I have a very beautiful picture of you in my mind. It's an exciting one too. Yes, I'll say it is. Lay down "old thing", it's only a picture in my mind. She's still as far away as ever. I'll have to describe that picture to you sometime. If I can put that picture in words, you will be able to see why I compare Varga girls to you and find them wanting.
Well sweetheart, that covers your Sat. letter fairly well I guess and it's time for lights out, so I'll say, night sweetheart. I'm loving you.
Your passionate lover
Norm.

No comments: