Sunday, December 12, 2010

Letter # 150 December 10, 1943

Dec. 10, 1943
Fri. night
My Darling Wife;

Had quite a day in the field today. Rather uneventful until we arrived at the problem area. Very stormy looking gray day, misting part of the time and the ground was wet enough that there was no dust. We got to the firing area and one of the tanks was flipping an orange flag which means they are out of action and need mechanical help. They were on the far side of a small creek so we started out to find a place to cross. Well the driver thought he could make it at a place where a tank had gone across but he didn't. Got halfway through and the half track was in to the top of the front wheels in quicksand.
I left the driver and one other fellow to get it out with the winch and I went to answer the S.O.S. on foot. They had sheared all the bolts out of one drive sprocket. Didn't have any tools to extract the broken bolts so I sent them in as a cripple. They made it back to camp by taking it slow. I sent a peep along to bring them help in case they didn't.
I had all the responsibility myself today. The Lt. wasn't with us. I guess they think that now I'm a sgt. I can take care of my own troubles. When I went back to the half track it was still in the mud and they had broken the winch so I signaled for a tank to come back and give us a lift. By this time they were in the middle of their problem so we had to wait until that was over. Then one of them came back and hauled us out. Had to haul us out of another creek before we caught up to the rest of the tanks. They were serving chow then so we fell to.
We've been having enough rain lately that the country is getting treacherous. In all six tanks got stuck today. Land that looks as solid as a road will just seem to open up when a tank goes over it. Cut tracks a foot deep almost everywhere. Going to be fun if it keeps on raining. The temperature is funny, when it's clear it is cool but on these rainy days it is almost hot and sultry as hell. Expect it was almost 80 degrees today.
Well to go on with the story, there was another tank flying an orange flag so when we finished eating we went over to investigate. Couldn't crank the engine at all. Looked around a bit and decided the engine had gotten too hot and froze up. Worked on it a while and finally got it loosened up but it had burned out a couple rods so it was casualty no. 2. Had to be towed in. The rest of the tanks went on in and we rigged up a cable hitch from one good tank to the cripple and started crawling in. Took us about 4 hours to make the 30 miles back to camp, but we brought her in. Brownie looked at it and said, "Well, that's one way of getting another new engine."
So that's the story of another day in the field. Not having as good luck as I did the first time or two. If we keep on we'll have them in shape yet. This will make 5 new engines we've gotten up to now. Send most of them to ordinance shop because we just don't have time to do it ourselves. Sooner do it ourselves because, if I do say it, we do a better job. We have to keep them running and if put in properly they give less trouble. The one we did put in is the best tank in the outfit now. Runs like a new one.
I guess that's enough of this kind of stuff. You probably can't enjoy it very much but I have to write something and you said you wanted to know all about what I'm doing. You probably get more kick out of a letter like that naughty one of a couple days ago. Want some more like it?
I got your Tues. letter today and one from Vi.
I got time to open your package and the others also although I haven't as yet sampled them very thoroughly. Everything is in good shape and sure is swell. I've got a whole barracks bag full of eats. Boy am I going to have fun. Also have some Life magazines and Parades and funnies to read. Thanks a lot sweetheart. You're a very swell wife to send me so much. I love you.
I think the cards are good but, as you say, next time we'll have to make some special Christmas photos. These will do very nicely for this time. I think my honey is a very good looking gal in that picture.
Remember the picture you sent to give me an idea of what you looked like tending the furnace? Well, I found one I think is probably closer to it. The legs and "titties" look more like you and also the idea is closer. You always did have such damn cold feet. Wish I could have you warming them on me, like the old times, rather than on the furnace.
Well darling, I'm running out of paper and I didn't comment on your letters. Guess I'll leave that for tomorrow because I want to tell you a very important little something on the rest of this sheet.
I know a very sweet young lady that sent me packages and love letters and even money and even says she loves me, that I love very, very much and miss her like hell. Night Tootsie Wuggles. I love you.
your hubby
Norm.

No comments: