Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Letter # 159 December 22, 1943

Dec 22, 1943
Hello Sweetheart;
I got your Sunday letter today. Glad you got the telegram and weren't too disappointed. I was afraid you had rather set yourself to come and wouldn't like me advising against it. I surely didn't want to send that answer, but I don't think this is the most opportune time to get together. Some of the boys that had been on furlough came back today and they said that traveling was really tough. One fellow sat on his suitcase all the way from New York, and several others stood a lot of the time. They said civilians had a hell of a time getting on the trains. Military personnel has first chance, you know. Afraid you'd have had a hell of a time. I'm hoping for that better chance in the near future. I hope. I do want to see you so much. Never seem to get over being lost without you. I love you honey.
This is going to be another short letter, I'm afraid. I had to go get another haircut and make a call at the dispensary and it's getting late. I have some sort of infection in my right heel. It's been bothering for a couple weeks. I went to the medics last week and they dressed it for a boil and it seemed to dry up until today. It swelled up and got sore as hell so I went back. They soaked it and then decided to have me come back tomorrow and let the doctor work on it. Probably cut it open and clean it out. Nothing at all serious, just an irritation. Haven't the least idea how I got it. No blister or cut or anything, just seemed to happen.
Boy, that skating sounds interesting. You ought to go. Bet you need to get outside a little.
Sweetheart, whatever happened to you? Going to a wild west show and getting so excited you even yell right out. If I don't get home soon, I won't know my wife. She drinks beer and goes to Westerns and lots of other things she never did when I was home. Go to it honey. I like to know you are having fun.
Don't know what you mean about me being mad because you wanted to come see me. I sure wish you could. Be a nice trip for you, beside being good for both of us. I sure was far from mad. The idea of your coming hit me so hard, as Brownie says, "I didn't know whether to shit or go blind." It was very considerate and loving of you to even think of it.
You're swell honey. Night for tonight, darling. I'm loving you and loving you. Maybe I can even dream about you again soon.
Your lover.
Norm.

No comments: