Thursday, December 9, 2010

Letter # 148 December 8, 1943

Dec 8, 1943
Hello my darling wife;
Had a very quiet but busy day in the garage today. Brownie and I had three tanks that stayed in to work on. Maybe three doesn't sound like many for two men, but it's plenty when it comes to repairing tanks.
The company has just come in, late 2030. I haven't yet seen Mac or anyone, so I don't know how many cripples we have this time. I bet it's plenty. Probably be plenty busy tomorrow. I've been sewing stripes on all evening, so far. Got part of them on but still have several to go. The army gave me four pair this time, so I won't have quite so many to buy. The ratings have been changing so fast it has taken most of the raise in pay to buy new chevrons. I'll have my clothes worn out from sewing stripes if I have to do it much more. Haven't yet issued but two of our insignia patches, so someday I'll have another job. I'll be an accomplished seamstress by the time I get out of this army.
By the way honey, if you think of it sometime you might send me a spool of black thread. Can't seem to buy any here in camp. Almost need it for the chevrons on my O.D.'s
Got two letters from you today. Your Sat & Sun ones, at least that's what you call them even if you did write both on Sunday. Listen honey, why don't you let the Sat. one go and just write one for the weekend? They always both get here the same day anyhow. When you're so busy you don't have to feel you should write every day. I like to get them but don't kill yourself honey. I don't write when I get too crowded, so why should you? At least you could cut out the Sat. one and it won't make a bit of difference. I haven't gotten but one letter on Tues. since I've been here. Your Sat & Sun. ones always get together on Wed. You'll have to slow down a bit anyhow sweetheart or you won't be able to furnish the padding for my sharp bones when we meet again, and then someone would be "hurtin" like she'd run into a door or something.
Maybe you can guess just about how wild I'll be from that letter I wrote last night. That sure was a naughty damn letter darling, but I just felt that way. For some reason or other I was ornery as hell. I could have screwed anything that would hold still. Good thing I wasn't in town or I might have spoiled a clean record. Honestly honey, the old thing stood up and drooled all evening and was in the same condition when I woke up this morning. I don't know why. He's very well behaved tonight. Guess he must have thought six weeks was long enough without any exercise. It was exactly six weeks to the day since he'd seen you. Maybe now he'll behave until we see you again. I'll try to keep most of my letters a little more quotable than that one. I thought it was rather fun to write at least one real "dirty" nice one. Guess you can sure blackmail me with that one. However, all you can get is me and you already have me so I'm not worried a bit. I may even write a better of the same kind someday when I'm feeling especially ornery again.
I love you sweetheart and you can bet I'm going to show you good and hope the opportunity comes soon.
Glad you are having fun with your Christmas shopping. See, if you hadn't married me, you would always have money to spend. Aren't you sorry?
Glad to get the dope on Gleason. He must be in something I hadn't heard about. Only going to school for three or four months and then going on duty. Wish him luck. I bet the army would be tough on him.
So the Wilkersons haven't forgotten you yet. You must have made an impression there. Everyone seems to like my wife. Must be because she is so sweet. No wonder I love her. Other people don't know her like I do either. I'm sure lucky and glad I got you. I love you sweetheart.
I beat you a long time in seeing "Lady Takes A Chance". I saw that while I was at Knox. It was rather good entertainment. She's a teasing, good looking wench. Would do in a pinch but to me she still runs a poor race in comparison to you. I think you're just about perfect.
So Johnny finally got a release. Bet it's a relief to him. Shame he ever had to go when it ends up that way. We wouldn't like that even if it would bring me home. As long as we're both healthy, we can make up for this lost time later on, and I mean make up for it. There's going to be some swell times coming up. Better than we've ever known yet. Won't that be something?
It's time to say night for this time. I love you darling. Wish we could rehearse the little act I wrote last night. I'm loving and missing you gorgeous.
your hubby.
Norm.

No comments: