Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Letter # 141 December 1, 1943

Dec 1, 1943
Hello Darling;
I guess this is apt to be a rather short quick letter also. Had to attend an aircraft identification class and then take a test on it afterward. Bet I didn't do very well on that. Have never paid much attention to that. I've been rather sour on the air corpse and anything pertaining since they refused to take me. I'll fix 'em, bet they are sorry too.
It's after 2030 now so I don't know how much I'll get written. It's liable to be this way for a while now. They issued a battalion order today that all tanks except those held up for parts are to be ready to roll every day and mechanics will work as late as necessary to maintain that schedule. Sounds rather rough. I imagine they will have to run two shifts if they expect us to keep up. Can't work day & night indefinitely.
By the way sweetheart, while I'm thinking of it, don't use the A.P.O. number anymore. Just address me Co.C 775 Tk Bn, North Camp Polk, La. The explanation is that the A.P.O. belongs to the 8th Division and they are scheduled to move out in a couple weeks for short maneuvers and the A.P.O. goes with them. My letters might go to the wrong place.
Seems like everyone but us is moving out. Forgotten battalion I guess. It probably pleases you and I don't blame you a bit. I can see your point. I can also see my point. I would like to get doing something or at least see some more country. Sorry I can't be as satisfied to stay on the sidelines as you would like but I just can't. It doesn't make any difference anyhow. I have no control over what they do with me so you have as much chance as having it the way you want it as I have. All in the fall of the cards. Don't think this means that I have changed any, I haven't. I always did feel that way. I love you just as much and more than ever and am just as anxious as you, for us to be together again. What I want is, one or the other, preferably, for us to be together forever.
This is probably like you think some of yours are, kinda mixed up, but I hope you can get what I mean. I can usually get what you mean without any trouble. You express yourself very well. I love my big, chubby, gorgeous wife an awful lot. Bet you can understand that. If you can't, remind me sometime and I'll show you so you can't do anything but understand and believe me. Wait until that fourth honeymoon. If it's not all in my head, I'll do a lot of showing. Even if it is in my head I can still be nice to you and love you passively.
The army gave us a surprise present tonight. Gave each of us a real nice silver dog tag chain. It really is a nice one. Looks like one a fellow would buy for himself. Maybe that will be disappointing to you but if you have already gotten me one, it'll still be swell. Probably get it caught and break it once in a while. I've broken several strings already. Get them hung up when I hang, head down, in a tank and then I can't get back out again. I usually wear them in my pocket when I think of it.
Got two more nice letters from you today. Your Sat & Sun. ones.
Glad to hear the good news about Harry. Probably a good thing he is in something like that rather than really being in the army. Too much opportunity to drink & gamble if a fellow is inclined that way.
Boy, I guess the little incident about Louise not wanting to come to your party for her, really shows something. That would be a hell of a trick. She surely can't be herself, or else we never knew the real Louise. Separation sure must be good for them. That's a laugh. I know damn well you didn't act like that and we never thought there was anything good about it. She better get the hell out there before she goes completely nuts.
Some of these days you won't be able to wear my P.J.'s anyhow. I surely won't allow any woman to sleep with me, unless she's bare. I know you always said you didn't want any bare man in bed with you but I don't want any clothes on my bed mate and I bet I have my way on this issue. I'll get us twin beds if you insist on wearing P.J.'s. I loves my mummy bare. She feels so good and just fits when she lays up close to me.
Don't worry about me understanding your letters. I can do very well. I haven't known you for 7 years for nothing. I can get a lot you don't put in words. As you say I can read between the lines. So far you've been doing swell. Only passing annoyances that you have been telling me of.
The lights are out and I'm going to stop for tonight. Wish I could be where you wouldn't need any P.J.'s tonight. I sure do miss my nice warm, soft, chubby wife when I crawl in for the night. Night honey. I love you.
your lover
Norm

No comments: