Thursday, December 2, 2010

Letter # 142 December 2, 1943

Dec 2, 1943
My darling sweetheart;
This isn't going to be much of a letter I'm afraid. It's after midnight and we have just quit work and have to get up at 0500 tomorrow to go out on the firing range again. Fire the sub-machine gun tomorrow. I guess I will have to go out Monday & Tues to fire the 50 Cal. machine gun again. Looks like they were finally going to give us a little practice in shooting. That was one thing I could never understand. Seemed like we should be constantly using the guns.
We took the record for the battalion today. Had all but one of our tanks in action. First time that has happened since this outfit was formed. We thought that we were going to send all of them out tomorrow but when they came back tonight we had to change our mind. Need a new engine for one and will have to take the engines out of two more. Probably won't be able to get the parts for them for several days. Brownie and I will be out on the range for the next few days and that won't help anything either. I guess I never told you, but Mac only had a hard cold and has been back since Tuesday. He talked the C.O. into giving him a three day pass today, so he won't be here until Monday. He's got a gal down in Abbeyville that he "shacks" up with every time he gets enough time off. He's not married and says he doesn't intend to be as long as he can get "it" without. He's crazy. He just doesn't know what he's missing does he sweetheart? Lots more to it than just a little fucking. Of course I'll admit that it's a big added attraction, but I sure wouldn't be satisfied to live that way, even if I could get all I wanted when I wanted it and a different duck each time.
I'll still take my own sweet wife over any or all of the rest of the women and be perfectly happy. I love you, you old devil and I sure appreciate my little wife more than to merely think she's good loving. If you have any doubts about that, you're the best ever, but that's only a small part of what I like about you. You're a very perfect wife, honey. I love you.
I'm sorry but I think I better get to bed, alone, damn it. Night honey. I'm loving you so much.
Your loving husband
Norm.

No comments: