Friday, December 3, 2010

Letter# 143 December 3, 1943

Dec. 3, 1943
Hello my darling wife;
Well honey, this time I didn't do like I did the first time. Tell you I was going over the infiltration course and then you wondered for a couple days. This time I fooled you. I knew I was going through it since Tues, but I didn't say anything until now and it's all over. Just got back. Had to do it in the dark this time. Quite a bit different and easier this time. Same course and done exactly the same, but it was cool and the ground was just nice and spongy. It rained last night and dried off just enough to make it nice. Got a little muddy but not nearly like we did last summer. The explosions and tracer bullets made it look like a 4th of July celebration. They had lowered the guns quite a bit this time and we really had to crawl. Was glad my belly wasn't as big as it used to be or I'd have lost part of my sit-down. All but one fellow made it in good shape. He fainted before he got clear through. When they checked the role, he was missing, so they sent some men out and there he was, out cold. Probably scared or overexertion or something. We had to carry packs and guns this time. Couldn't tell them from mud.
I did O.K. on the range this morning. Scored 85 out of 100 to qualify for expert.
Got two more letters from you today, Mon. & Tues. ones.
Don't worry about me taking care of myself, honey. The army does that. They aren't nearly as good at it as you are, but I guess I'll have to be satisfied until the time I can come back and let you take over. That'll be a great day. I'm really going to like that. I love you honey. No I didn't catch cold. Just healthy as a horse and feeling fine. Little tired tonight but I could sure pet a certain teacher I know, if she would pet. I almost think she would. She ought to because she sure as hell looks like swell petting material. She better pet with me the next time I get home or
else----, I'll be "hurtin".
I have several of your letters here to answer, but damn it all honey, they just don't give me time. I'm sorry honey. I'll try to write you a good one soon. These short ones are just teasers, but at least, I can tell you, I love you and miss you a lot.
wish I could find out if that certain teacher would pet. I bet, and how. Night sweetheart. I love you so much.
your soldier
Norm

No comments: