Sunday, December 12, 2010

Letter # 151 December 12, 1943

Dec 12, 1943
My Darling Wife;
I was a very wayward husband last night and didn't even write you a note. I'll write a good long one today to kinda make up.
I had to make a trip to the P.X. for cigarettes and etc, Intended to come straight back to the barracks and do some reading and writing but didn't. I'm like my wife, I can't resist a bottle or two or more of beer and when I get a few I don't care what happens.
I got to the P.X. and the place was nearly deserted. The 8th has moved out. Sgt Rintleman and a couple other Sgts. from our old outfit were sitting there drinking beer and I was invited to join them. I did and one beer led to another and one story to another until I didn't care if I wrote to my honey or not. Probably would have been a screwy letter if I had managed to write one. I felt more like that than writing.
Well anyhow, the party started early, about 1800 and it was 2300 when I got back to the barracks. Even then I darn near didn't get back that quick. The others got the crazy idea of going to Leesville yet, at that time of night. I was feeling plenty good, but not quite that good so I broke away and came back to the barracks to do my laundry before going to bed. Curfew is at 0100 in Leesville and I couldn't see going in for an hour or so. Guess I'm just getting to be an old man. Can't just let myself go anymore. At least not unless you and I are alone together. Then I'm not quite so old. Can't be too old when you're around. You seem to give me young ideas. I loves you darling. Bet I could have shown you last night too.
I mentioned the 8th being gone. They moved out all day yesterday, all night, and are still going out in a steady stream this morning. They are headed for someplace in Texas for about 3 weeks. Supposed to come back about the 5th of Jan, so the rumors say. Boy honey, the camp sure looked like a ghost town last night. All the barracks standing dark and deserted, the P.X.'s empty, no line at all by the theater, only a dozen or so men in the Service Club and no one on the streets. Sure seemed funny.
The 710 Tk.Bn. that's Grafton's outfit, had their move cancelled for a while, so the 710th and ours are the only outfits left in North Camp Polk as far as I know.
Rumor has it that the 710th will now leave for P.O.E. port of embarkation, along the first of the year. These rumors sure do fly and very few of them are true. An outfit of engineers went out in place of the 710th this last time. Hard to tell who will be next.
These two outfits are really orphans now. All but two P.X.'s will be closed, only one theater will be open, no church at all. They are taking those that want to go, to South Camp today. No post office. Our mail will probably come from South Camp or Leesville now. No Service Club or anything. Leaves us kind of stranded in the woods until the 8th comes back, if they do. Won't make much difference I guess. From what they told us yesterday, said that if we wanted to go out, we had better get it done this weekend because next week we would be working_______. Just left it that way. Didn't say anything about following weeks. the schedule calls for several days in the field next week. Don't know if I will be out or not. If I am you may miss some letters. I'm always telling you this, just so you may have an idea of what is coming. Of course, I never know for sure, so when you don't don't get letters for several days, you can be sure I'm out and haven't a chance to write.
Gosh sweetheart, this sure is a hell of a lazy looking bunch of soldiers this morning. Nearly every one of them is in this morning and all but a few are still sleeping like babies and it's 1000. Only a few even got up for breakfast. You can bet I was one of them. Gotta have my breakfast you know. Had 4 fried eggs, sausage, toast & coffee and Wheaties. Sounds good doesn't it? I think on the average they are feeding us better than they did when we first came here. Either the scales are crazy or I am gaining a little again. Back to 190 just like when I was home on furlough. Getting so I'm not hungry for any meal but breakfast again. Feeling swell honey, and only waiting for another honeymoon. A good long one lasting for life, to be perfectly happy.
I do miss you a lot and love you more than ever. You're very nice to have around. Even when I get half drunk on beer, I still miss you. Wouldn't be any use of me drinking to forget you. Only makes me think more of you. Maybe that isn't so strange because a lot of our courting was done at drinking parties. Some day I'll write a letter about what I remember of those good old parties. Some very nice memories from some of them.
I see from one of the Sunday papers, I bought two of them, funnies you know, that they are putting off the taking of pre-Pearl Harbor fathers. I hope that means Gus [Maitland] won't have to go after all. If they do as they say and leave those from 25-30 until the very last, he may yet miss the whole business. I sure hope so.
Didn't get a letter from you yesterday but I imagine I'll get a couple today. I still have your Tues. letter to answer. I'll do that now and then wait until after mail call to finish this letter.
The "expert" means that I qualified as an expert marksman on the particular gun we fired that day. It means I would be eligible to wear a marksman medal if I wanted to. You've seen soldiers wearing them. Square medal with little bars hung on short chain under them. Each bar has the name of the kind of arm you are "expert" in. I don't like them and unless they issue them I won't have any. That one was the Thompson sub-machine gun, or "Tommy Gun" as it is commonly known.
Whenever you have some questions honey, don't be bashful about asking them. There are probably lots of things I don't explain or tell you much about. If you ask me I'll try to tell you all I can. You know I always did need a little priming before I talked very much. You always asked plenty of questions but in your letters you don't seem to.
Don't you be saying your letters aren't worth answering. I won't stand for it. They're very nice letters and I love every word of them. If you think I'm kidding you just quit writing and you'll be able to hear me screaming way up there. Your letters are swell, very much like you. Sweet, natural, loving, generous, most of the time, and then sometimes, a bit "catty" and "bitchy", but they are all swell. I wouldn't miss them for anything but the privilege of being with you.
We just had mail call. Got your Wed. letter and another package from Hazel. Started to open it and all the stickers said "Halt"! Wait until Christmas. So I stowed them away in a barracks bag. That bag is getting rather full. Think I could answer for Santa Claus. I'm working on it though, the eats I mean.
Having a chicken dinner so I didn't "fess" much this morning but I won't eat any supper so I'll sure work on it this afternoon. Boy honey, that stuff tastes good. You're a sweet old devil and I love you. There are a lot of boxes coming in but so far I think I've gotten the biggest one. I thought for a bit you must have sent yourself. Wish you could get here that easily.
I guess I better stop or I'll have to put two stamps on this one. I love you honey. Bye now until tomorrow.
Your soldier.
Norm.

No comments: