Sunday, December 5, 2010

Letter # 145 December 5,1943

Dec 5,1943
Sun. Morn.
My petable school teacher;
I always did say I wished I could have you for a teacher. I'd be a naughty boy every day, so I could stay after school. I'd also want a seat right close to the desk so when you would lean over to write something I might be able to sneak a look down the front of your dress. Hope you don't always wear a high neck one. I wouldn't promise to be a very good pupil but at least I don't think I'd piss on the floor. You would probably have me so bothered most of the time, I wouldn't be able to. Something about you teacher that has a very strange affect on me. Just have to be where I can see you and something inside me starts catching fire. Then when I get close to you_______ well, you know what usually happens. I never said I wanted to eat first. Did I? I love you sweetheart.
Dreamed of you last night. It isn't very clear and I don't remember much of it, but what I do remember, I'm going to forget real quick. Seems we were having a fight of some kind and I was mad as hell at you. Dreams can be so crazy! I can't see why I'd dream of having a fight with you. Never did have. Never even thought of having a fight with you and don't intend to have. After all I love you, so why the hell should we fight? Crazy business! Good thing I'm not superstitious. I suppose such a person would think that meant something or other. It just makes me disgusted. I rather like those nice, loving, sometimes messy dreams I have about you and here I have a fight with you. Maybe I've been in the army so long I'm becoming strictly G.I. "all fucked up". Situation normal. Anyway, whatever the fight was about it's all over this morning and I love you as much as ever. If you think I don't just remember our first night together at Knox. I could easily repeat the exact performance and even do it better. I've had a couple practice performances. Practice makes perfect doesn't it?
Hartman's thought I was all nervous and upset about missing bus connections and here it was because I was so thrilled about seeing you again. I was even so damn glad to see you that you were the one to suggest going to bed. Boy you sure looked good to me and you certainly backed up your looks when we did get around to loving. Gosh honey, I'll never forget walking in the lobby and seeing you standing there all prettied up. Hair up in curls like the picture and the happy, welcoming, here I am, look in your eyes and face. Boy honey, that was a picture! Wonder I didn't go wild right then and forget my manners entirely. I love you so much darling and, like you, I'm looking forward to our next meeting. I don't see how it can be any better than our last ones, but anticipation is great stuff and I know there won't be anything I'll ever enjoy any more except the time I come home for good.
This time I'm not taking any chances on being lured away from writing you a nice letter. I'm doing it first and then if anyone comes short it won't be you. I love you and don't like to short change you.
Brownie didn't get his examination yesterday. Stayed there all day and they are so busy they told him to come back on the 9th and they would take care of him. We've just had a little talk here this morning. He gave me a piece of good news. Can you guess what it is? Should I keep you waiting and wondering like I did in that other letter? That was kinda fun, but rather mean also and beside this isn't as good news as the other time, so I guess I won't make you wait. I'll just up and tell you. I am now a T/4. That's Sargent to you. Three stripes with the tee underneath. That means a hell of a lot more sewing but it also means $12.00 a month more so I guess I can stand it. It doesn't mean any more work. It can't. I've been doing all I'm going to do anyhow. Now I have rank enough to tell someone else to do it. It hasn't become official yet. Probably be on the bulletin board tomorrow. Brownie told me about it. He said when I first came back he'd see that I got a T/4 as soon as he could. He did too. The captain didn't really want to give me one yet. Said I hadn't enough training on these machines yet, but Brownie told him I was doing as much work as anyone in the shop and he wanted me to have the rating. He told the captain it wasn't my fault I wasn't in what I had been trained for. Also told him one of the light tank companies was requesting a mechanic and he didn't want to loose me. It did some good apparently. Those stripes of Brownie's carry a lot of weight. Kinda nice to have someone on your side. That or luck is the only way to get anyplace in the army. Gee honey, I'll be rich now. We'll get about $42.00 a month now after all expenses are taken out.
Maybe now I won't have to ask my generous wife for any more money. Wish I had her here to sew on the new stripes. That sounds rather like that's all I want you for but you sure know better than that. You'd be handy for that, but you're worth a hell of a lot more for other things. The best wife a man ever had covers it about as good as anything I could say. I love you honey.
Just had our Sunday mail call. Got a letter, your Thurs one, from you, one from Mom & Hazel and also got a package from the Co-workers. Don't tell them but I opened it and will eat it now. Have to get rid of them as they come. Very nice box of cookies, candy & etc. and a nice big handkerchief. I'll write them a note soon.
Now I guess I better get to answering your letters or I'll never get caught up. You asked about the K rations. So far we have never been fed on them but I have had some of it to eat. It's surprising stuff. Tastes a lot like milk chocolate but isn't as solid. A little bar of it really fills up. It must expand like hell when it gets mixed up. Imagine a man could lick on it for quite some time. It's so concentrated they tell you to eat it very slowly or it's apt to cause cramps.
I can just imagine how you felt about that phone call from Mickey. It sure would be a hell of a suspense. I expect it took so long Mickey couldn't wait it out. I usually take at least 3-5 hours to get through from down here.
Thanks darling for sending me Steve's address again. Don't know what I'd do without you. This time I wrote it down right away, just as you told me to. I'm an obedient cuss.
Glad Louise is off and apparently has a place all ready for her to move into. I wrote Mickey my new address long ago but he has never answered. I guess he's as busy as I am.
You're an egotistical old sweet darling thinking I wanted a calendar just to keep track of you. Such a business. I need it to keep track of the dates I have with these La. gals. You know they like northern men, say they have more energy. So there too. Honestly now, I do use the calendar to keep track of you mostly. If I ever have a choice of when I want my next furlough I want to pick the best time don't I? While I'd be glad to see you in any shape, I mean it, I'd be foolish to hit the wrong time, now wouldn't I?
Now you say you aren't going to prepare any defences and that you enjoy feeling like you ran into a door. I guess that's answer enough. Boy oh Boy! Come on 4th honeymoon.
Well I guess if I'm going to send this air mail I better quit. Maybe I'll get caught up on your letters sometime. I won't forget to sign this one. I don't want you mistaking my letter for some other man's. You might promise the wrong man something I asked for first. Bye gorgeous. I love you so much.
your lover
Norm.

No comments: